1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold timing advance

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Scrench, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Josh Oldenburg

Josh Oldenburg Full Access Member

I'm running the motorcraft ZF9 I think whatever the 7.3 is supposed to run. I have however bypassed the controller because the controller wasn't working right. So no matter what I have to run 12 volts, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

Run 12v directly to the plugs and don't hold the button longer than 10 seconds at a time. Hold the button the minimum amount of time it takes for the engine to start.

3. Scrench

Scrench Full Access Member

I hold mine for 3 seconds an it fires right up. I watched it before I screwed them in and counted to 3 and they lit up like a cherry

4. Scrench

Scrench Full Access Member

I came off the solonoid with my power to the GPS. Then from the small solonoid side to my push button. Actually thought about using the accessorie side of my universal key switch that is mounted loud and proud in the dash but I think I'm going to yank the column out and try to fix it. This thing has had someone under the dash that must have been selling the copper it's terrible