Cold idle advance

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Since the cold white stuff is flying, the Gold one doesn't like the cold as much as the ole Beef did. Have a hard time hitting 190 F(Lund cold weather inserts installed) as to the 210 F in weather above 40 F. :confused:
The question is can I tie in a switched lead to activate the CIA and leave the stock setup alone or do I have to tie into it and disable it from normal ops?
Been having plenty of fire runs here over the last week and a half and when on scene, I gotta keep the truck running and some disco lights going on top to keep the onlookers busy. :rolleyes: :Sly
I try not to leave it running at an extended idle for long periods as am not big on washing the cylinders down but have to some time and would like to keep the idle up to avoid it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a manual toggle to the CIA but I also do have a diode in it to keep the current from backfeeding electrical through the stock wiring. Not sure if it is entirely necessary, but I had an E4DOA and was scared in accidentally blowing its brains out.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ron,

Here is a couple of wiring diagrams for ya...

Attachments

• Timing cold idle wiring.JPG
    Timing cold idle wiring.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Timing cold idle wiring ************.JPG
    Timing cold idle wiring ************.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 51

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh and forgot to put on the picture when your holding the diode in your hand it will have a white band towards one end... This is the band you see in my drawing - put this band towards the solenoid. A diode is a one way animal meaning it will only let current flow in one direction. So if you get it installed backwards then your toggle switch will turn both solenoids on and the factory system will only be able to turn on the timing advance... So you'll know pretty quick if you screwed up and didn't follow my directions...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
;Sweet
Thanks guys
Travis a man of knowledge drawing the picture. Have some sort of electronics degree for the local college so I picked up right away on the diode symbol. ;Sweet Musta saved a few brain cells. :D

That's what I needed to know as to not fry things. Had enough wiring problems already. :backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm crossing this bridge somewhat too, as I have a remote starter for the Moosestang that I'm putting in. Doing a bit of thinking trying to figure out how to get the idle to come up electrically instead of mechanically. Anybody know anything about the insides of the cruise control units (vacum models)?

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked up my CIA about 3 years ago with the diode setup, and I adjusted the soleniod plunger so I get about 1000 to 1100 rpms in the fast idle mode.
It works extremely well and sure is cheap to wire up. I use mine alot in the summer also to keep the A/C cooling better when I make a quick stop.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
kennyd said:
I hooked up my CIA about 3 years ago with the diode setup, and I adjusted the soleniod plunger so I get about 1000 to 1100 rpms in the fast idle mode.
It works extremely well and sure is cheap to wire up. I use mine alot in the summer also to keep the A/C cooling better when I make a quick stop.

Kennyd,
How exactally did you adjust the solenoid plunger? I adjusted the idle up on the rebuilt pump and now it seems that I must adjust the cold idle solenoid as well to get a faster cold idle. Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you have to do to adjust it is screw it in or out. That is the reason the plunger has a hex head on the pushing tip. The threads are fine, so it takes a lot of cranking to see any real movement.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Agnem said:
All you have to do to adjust it is screw it in or out. That is the reason the plunger has a hex head on the pushing tip. The threads are fine, so it takes a lot of cranking to see any real movement.

Thanks mel,
I didnt know that there was any adjustment, let alone that it was so easy.

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Thanks for answering for me Mel, your just like my wife :backoff

Of course, I am just kidding :D

Kenny

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were just like your wife, I would feel really sorry for you. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
If I were just like your wife, I would feel really sorry for you. LOL
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Just got that visual again of ya talking tech to me standing nekkid in the bathroom. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Back to therapy. :rolleyes: