Clutch problems

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a little trouble with the clutch in my 84 when you press clutch in all the way to floor it makes a popping noise:dunno I was told that these possibly may have a place to grease, so I looked on the tech forum and saw that Agnem had posted on there that they need to be lubricated and I was wondering if there is a zerk or something if not how do you grease or lube one of these? The popping is not bad it does sound like something rubbing or clicking together.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
No zerk there that I know of but Yes You can pull the pedal gallery and put some good grease on it (like the kind that won't squeeze out and drop in Your shoes), also the popping noise could be right at the intersection of the pedal and the clutch master cylinder push rod there is a little bushing in between that wears out and then eat the metal away until You have no more travel but You didn't say it is hard to shift so You may just need the bushings and a good lube.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 84' has a T-19 and thus your throw out bearing can hang up and gall your input shaft housing. You need to secure your slave cylinder, remove it, pull the clutch fork out, and reach in there with your hand and remove all the old grease if any, and then slather it up with fresh grease real good. Grease the fork "fingers" and pivot point as well when you reinstall. No guarantee this is your popping noise, but this is the root cause of most T-19 clutch problems, including cracked firewalls, and blown hydraulics.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you go about secureing the slave cyl? My dads new truck (86, 6.9, t-19) has a slightly stiff pedal effort and the throw out bearing makes a high pitched chirp sound with the pedal released (driving position). If you just touch the pedal, I mean push it less than 1/8", the noise goes away. Does this sound like maybe a sticky slide to you? The clutch (Luk) is 2 years and 20k miles old. Any pointers appreciated.
Travis..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That chirp that goes away with pedal pressure is your throw out bearing. It will need to be lubed as Mel has stated above. More than likely, the housing over the input shaft on your T19 is galled up. You need to keep it lubed on a regular basis........as least each time you change your oil...... sooner if needed. That chirp will go away like magic with some grease on the TOB.

Your slave cylinder comes with a plastic cap on the push rod. The cap has two long "T" extentions 180 degrees apart....one on top and one on bottom. They will attach in the slave cylinder's mounting clip......keeping the push rod in the shortend position. If that piece of plastic is missing.......you will be faced with wrestleing the slave cylinder on and off the bellhousing. It's a huge PITA without that little piece of heaven.

Heath

Last edited:

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info I am gonna go out tonight and see if I can grease it up.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'll have to take a peak. There isn't by chance a zerk fitting on the cast sleeve part of the throw out bearing is there? If not, I guess I'll just have to use a small acid brush or something.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to work on this thing is to make some home made bread dough, and need it in your hand for an hour or two. When you can't take the pain anymore, and you are crying on your knees, now you are ready to work on messaging the grease into your TOB! LOL A squeeky TOB can be revived, but it is difficult. It will help you if you go buy a new one just so you can look at how it is made. you will see there is a small gap in the two halves, and this is where you can push grease into it with your fingers. The gap is very small and will take a very long time to message the grease into it, but it CAN be done. Mine started squeeking a number of years ago, and I messaged it until I was near tears, and it hasn't squeeked since. This thread reminds me that I should pull my fork and do it again, as this will be a very long hot trip coming up, and a squeeky TOB would really kill the enjoyment for me.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys thanks for all the info after 2 nights and bloody knuckles I got it greased. Took the fork out like you said Agnem and greased the best I could almost impossible to get your hand in there, anyways that and the fork pivot points and under the dash, it is much smoother and the popping noise went away it even seems to shift better.

Thank you, TJ

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine last night, lots smoother and no chirping. It only took me about 45 min, but I had a service pit to work in;Sweet My slave didn't have the little plastic clips, so I had to muscle it back in. Almost thought I screwed myself for a minute, but I got it. Thanks for the tips guys, I never thought I would find it so dry. Maybe the installer didn't grease the retainer when he installed it:dunno
Travis..

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya mine was really dry no grease at all so whoever did mine did not grease anything. I had some trouble with my slave too but got it back in, im sure the pit is nice Im tired of laying in the dirt, but getting a garage in about a month im very excited.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it really paid off for you guys then. ;Sweet