Clutch Movement and Firewall Flex

unobvs

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

I have an 85 F250, 6.9L diesel, 4 spd Borg Warner, 2WD beauty that is becoming more and more difficult to shift and get into gear when cold, without grinding the gears.

With help from the info on this site, I crawled under today and watched the clutch activation sequence (with grumbling wife in cab pushing clutch pedal).

The amount of movement at the output end of the slave cylinder was very limited; perhaps 1/2 inch of total movement. From this I conclude that the gear grinding is due to the fact that the clutch is not being fully engaged.

I checked fluid level in the master and it seemed to be fine. However,

QUESTION 1: the upper end of the rubber cup in the master cylinder was filled with a clear fluid that looked and smelled like water. Is this normal and intended?

Next I looked at the firewall adjacent the master cylinder while the pedal was being exercised, and I observed a meaningful amount of "flex" at the firewall behind the master. I have read that this is a known cause of inadequate clutch activation.

QUESTION 2: How can you tell if the Ford Recall Repair on the firewall has been performed?

QUESTION 3: Was that Recall Repair somethig that the dealer did, or as it an owner project?

QUESTION 4: If done by owner, how big a project is it? A major pain in the ass?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lee

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Fetch grumbling wife and have her push the clutch while you look at the master cylinder under the hood (forget the slave cylinder at this point cause if the master cylinder is moving, you won't get the full slave travel). If it moves, you need the "fix". If you would like a copy of the tsb, pm me your email addy, I'll get it to you as soon as I can.

Scott

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I just happen to have a kit I need to install along with a master cylinder myself.

I have taken pictures of this setup for everyones benefit. I do hope this helps out.

The steel plate goes inside the cab against the firewall and that helps support the firewall from flex.

Attachments

• Clutch master with kit 1.jpg
    Clutch master with kit 1.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Clutch master with kit 2.jpg
    Clutch master with kit 2.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Clutch master kit.jpg
    Clutch master kit.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 11

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
OK I just happen to have a kit I need to install along with a master cylinder myself.

I have taken pictures of this setup for everyones benefit. I do hope this helps out.

The steel plate goes inside the cab against the firewall and that helps support the firewall from flex.

That is the minor kit. It is just a re-enforcement plate. If your firewall is already flexing, to be honest (and blunt) you are wasting your time with that kit. It is a preventative measure, not a fix for a cracked or separated firewall. The major kit has many more bolts and goes up through the firewall into the cowl area and over against the transmission tunnel.

You might want to pm me your email and take a look at the TSB on it.
Scott

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok after checking locally I found that the cost of the large kit is a whoppin

$346 suggested retail
$266.71 with a slightly sharpened pencil
$220 is the actual dealer cost...

Um Nope not gonna go that route here nope nadda
http://www.fordparts.com/ has em for 115 US I can ship to Zip 98844 and pick up in 15 minutes....Woot!

Gotta love livin in a Tres' kewl border town!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok after checking locally I found that the cost of the large kit is a whoppin

$346 suggested retail
$266.71 with a slightly sharpened pencil
$220 is the actual dealer cost...

Um Nope not gonna go that route here nope nadda
http://www.fordparts.com/ has em for 115 US I can ship to Zip 98844 and pick up in 15 minutes....Woot!

Gotta love livin in a Tres' kewl border town!

:) Glad you got it worked out - Like I said in the emails, I wouldn't put much stock in the $220 cost either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7