Clutch making noise with zf swap

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Just got done swaping a T19 for a ZF-5, instauled a new 12" SMF,pressure plate, new pilot and throw out bearings. Started it up and noticed right away that it was making a rubbing sound. It makes it no matter if the clutch is depressed or not. could it be making this noise because it is new?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
can you pull the inspection plate back off and have a look? Mine makes noise but its the throw out bearing. the noise hasn;t changed in the last 12K so i left it alone.

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I did intall the disk the correct way, as it was written on it, as others have said, it is fairly loud especially compaired to the old t19

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure what you are hearing is a rubbing sound? Have you heard the typical rollover noise associated with the SMF? When I put mine in at the stock idle setting it was pretty freaking loud. I would describe is as being like a really noisey buzzing or a loud vibration. I will say it went away when I pushed the clutch in, and then I bumped the idle up and it subsided quite a bit. I would suggest pulling the inspection plate and having a look and/or listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from.

Good luck to you.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you sure what you are hearing is a rubbing sound? Have you heard the typical rollover noise associated with the SMF? When I put mine in at the stock idle setting it was pretty freaking loud. I would describe is as being like a really noisey buzzing or a loud vibration. I will say it went away when I pushed the clutch in, and then I bumped the idle up and it subsided quite a bit. I would suggest pulling the inspection plate and having a look and/or listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from.

Good luck to you.

Was thinking the same thing...also check your inspection plate, they have a bad habit of rubbing on the flywheel...ask me how I know!!! :)

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I got the hypermax turbo on it and the passenger side up pipe is in the road in order to pull the inspection plate. The sound only changes a little bit when the clutch is depressed, could it be because all the clutch parts are new and just need broke in?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't need any break in, whats to break in? It should run like a champ from the start.

Might sound dumb but did you put enough fluid in?

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Well it works real good, clutch pedal is easier to depress, gear changes are smooth. I checked the level and it was pretty good. I was thinking on putting 30w non detergent in er though.