Click click click???

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, I know my rear has a locking diff in it in my low mile brown truck, but is it supposed to sound like a ratchet when ever I turn one way or another? I always was under the impression this was a characteristic of GM Positraction units. cookoo

rdrancher

Reaction score
Is it an OEM locker or aftermarket? Lunch-box lockers like lock-rites and aussie ratchet in turns when coasting and lock up on acceleration. Detroit lockers will do it to an extent but usually just emit a big bang every once in awhile. Never heard a limited slip ratchet.

rd

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said - if tis an actual locker it will more than likely make funky noises, if tis just an LSD it should be quiet.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well, I was always under the impression that it is just an OEM locker. But here's the deal, its out of a 78 F350, so maybe they did use a ratcheting style locker back then. They also told me when they rebuilt it they had the shop cram all the clutches they could fit in there into it.

suv7734

Reaction score
The limited slip units will 'bang' on turns when the gear lube is dirty/old and the friction modifier is 'worn out. The clutches are not slipping smoothly on turns and will give the noise you described. Just change out the gear lube and add the appropriate amount of friction modifier.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well, I was always under the impression that it is just an OEM locker. But here's the deal, its out of a 78 F350, so maybe they did use a ratcheting style locker back then. They also told me when they rebuilt it they had the shop cram all the clutches they could fit in there into it.

if it has clutches it is not a locker, it is a limited slip. the lockers are gear actuated and positivly lock both sides together when actuated where a limited slip can realease some of that pressure for better road manners around turns.

i beleave ford used traclock limited slips back then, but don't quote me on that.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleave ford used traclock limited slips back then, but don't quote me on that.
That was my impression too, just a regular clutched LSD with a fancy name to it. Some real lockers do have clutches in them tho, the Eaton G80 for the GM trucks for instance, believe the clutches are there for dampening the shock axles experience from the constant locking and unlocking, or something like that.