CL deal....not sure how he got this one past the smog nazis........

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
A friend of mine had done this on his Yeep. I guess its somewhat common for the low $$ Jeeper guys to do (as the high $$ Jeep guys drop the dollars on ARB air lockers and such)... Like mentioned, you can unlock whichever hub you want and it will drive like a standard open differential.

With the spider gears welded, both axle shafts turn at the exact same rate all the time, no matter what. If you unlock one hub, then it will behave more like a traditional open-front when 4wd is engaged, still lunges and bucks due to the ratio difference between front and rear when turning..

Only real problem with the Lincoln Locker (or Miller Locker, or whatever) is that the welds force those little spider gears to handle immense load, especially when running big tires. A traditional locker has either a big locking clutch, or something similar. Think about how much leverage is hanging on that little 1" diameter spider gear when the other end of the axle shaft has a 37" tire hanging on it. Then add all the weight and inertia of a big heavy diesel powered truck on the other side of that little 1" gear...

:eek:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
in russian river you only need to smog when transfering title. its easy to swap over to diesel and ever worry. also if you know someone that does vin inspections you could possibly get away with it

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
my scout has a n/a 6.9 a 60 rear that's welded and a 60 front with a ox locker. it weighs 6000 lbs. i go everywhere i point it. please explain the weight over the front is a bad thing... :D

sassyrel

Reaction score
if you are asking you probably will not be able to get it ever unless you see it, but here goes...

So your diff is locked right? So when power is applied, each axle receives 50% power, no matter what. Your axles can not change speed from each other, so because of this, if attempting turns, a wheel will drag, or your axles will bind on themselves, or you will not turn at all.

That is normal operation. Well we all know, when a hub is unlocked, the axle that the hub has just unlocked, is no longer 'connected' to the tire. So now, because one side has no connection to the axle, while the other one does, full powered is applied to the side with the locked hub. Get it?

Having a welded spider gear front diff, with one hub unlocked, IMHO, is inferior to an open diff for on road 4x4 usage. I say this because an open rear, will transfer power side to side. Power is transferred more to the wheel that has no traction, but sometimes heating of the fluid causes a viscous coupling type reaction witch causes some power to be transferred to the wheel that has traction. Also, if both wheels have traction, both wheels receive power, vs only one wheel receiving power all the time with the other type of diff setup.

I did miss where the truck was a cali truck. Welding a front diff makes sense then, as the only time this thing would go into locked 4x4, would be off road, being east coast in a somewhat snow state, in my mind, the on road need for 4x4 came into play and I thought "man that was dumb" but like a knee jerk reaction to Micheal Vick's new dog, I did not think it through, so now it makes PERFECT sense.

Well worth the 3k, just for the diesel emissions on the Bronco.

did you notice,,who i was quoting???? hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????????????????????????????????????????????? ****..i DIDNT read past your first moron sentence..your what age,,and been around 4x4's how many years????? i DONT believe,,who i was responding to,,needs YOU, to reply for him....

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
my scout has a n/a 6.9 a 60 rear that's welded and a 60 front with a ox locker. it weighs 6000 lbs. i go everywhere i point it. please explain the weight over the front is a bad thing... :D

I was thinking of the weight more as a factor of inertia, rather than dead weight... Like when three tires are slipping and one suddenly grabs something solid, the torque moment on that one tire is what puts the load on the spider gear. Probably a non-issue in the real world, but I seldom think about things in the real world... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent