Chevy pick up hauling a backhoe

cat320

Reaction score
In some of GM's paper ads you see a single rear wheel pick up towing a big 14K lb + machine plus towing the weight of the trailer.Now is the Dmax and auto trany able to pull that much weight? And this looked like it was a ball hitch and not a fifth wheel or goosneck.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think max trailer weight is 12k on a rear ball hitch and 15,500 on the gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Whit

Reaction score
For what its wort, I am a Dodge/Cummins guy but this should still apply, I tow my hoe all the time with my 3/4 ton, I use the gooseneck tow style and wouldnt recommend a bumper pull for that kind of job, My GVW of truck hoe and trailer is 28,800 lbs, I have plenty of power so that is a non issue, the weak points are in the tire/wheels so I went with Rickson 19.5's which doubled my capacity there, the other weak point is braking so I added an exhaust brake, I am very confident of my braking power since I have 3 axles under my trailer and the truck brakes combine to make it safe. I know the rig is not rated for this type of GVW but I dont worry about it in Wyoming.

Cheers, Kevin

flhrciblueice

"Git 'R Dun!"
Reaction score
I have pulled the 580 on a gooseneck a couple times. It weighs around 14.5-15k. Good trailer brakes come in very handy. Pulls easier w/the dmax than with the 2000 3500 dooley w/454. Just be sure to keep the brakes maintained.

CHarlan

Reaction score
with my brushguard, I go through front brakes quite often anyway! It sucks, but with a 3/4 ton, I can pull alot of stuff as well, just watching out for the tires.. they definitely are the weak point alright!

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to rain on anyones parade, but do you really think your insurance is going to pay when you get in a wreck and you are so far beyond your GVW? Not to mention the civil liability when you get sued and lose everything you have. If you have any doubt call your insurance carrier or your local DOT station and ask them if there is any liability to using a light duty pickup for a medium duty job.

Blue2002

Reaction score
"not to rain on anyones parade, but do you really think your insurance is going to pay when you get in a wreck and you are so far beyond your GVW? Not to mention the civil liability when you get sued and lose everything you have. If you have any doubt call your insurance carrier or your local DOT station and ask them if there is any liability to using a light duty pickup for a medium duty job."

I don't think Whitmore has too much to worry about in Wyoming. Probably uses his brakes less in a Year than most "Live Free or Die" folks need to in a week. He would need to find someone to run into first. IMHO I think I'm putting own life at risk everytime I go back to visit New England. (I do like those license plates, still have mine hanging in the garage, but I don't miss the traffic on I93 and I95.)

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 436b fwd, extendahoe behind my 2500. Axles are homemade out of one ton chevy corporate rearends with sch. 80 pipe the right size to press on the tubes. Pushed it all the way to the backing pads with a 30 ton press welded on ends and put a few plug welds along tubes. Use electric over hyd. controller on brakes. When you hit brakes only on trailer it will suck back of truck down they stop so good. Run 14 ply tires only on all my trailers. Gross 33,000lb., pulls it good and as I have said before experience pulling trailers goes along way toward safety.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it will move it with 3:54 gears and 315 tires. Thats like a 35 or 36 inch tall tire right? So with that much bigger tire diameter your actual ratio is probably more like 3:00.

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you stop on a big hill it's a *****! I use low lock anywhere off road or trying to back it in anywhere. It really does pull it good down the road. I usually pull in 5th gear on the road, fairly flat rolling country around here unless you get around the mississippi or missouri rivers. Haven't grossed over 24000 since I put edm's in but it pulls good with them just gets hot real fast. Needs more air!!

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty well maintains legal speed down the road. At 24000 gross on I-70 I can usually maintain 75 to 85 at all times. This poor old dodge does a GOOD job pulling a trailer. Had a 88 ford 7.3 with ats turbo on it before, it wouldn't get out of it's own way and about 50,000 miles was all I could get out of a motor before it was shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online