Check This Glow Plug Out

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, my glow plug controller/relay was frying glow plugs left and right, so I replaced it and the glow plugs that were fried... Well, most of the glow plugs were swollen at the tips and a pain to get out, but they came out.... This one on the other hand, took me almost half an hour to get out.... I ain't seen this before haha. ;Really I need to find glow plugs that can handle any amount of voltage. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a motorcraft/Beru?

If not, what brand were they?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some motorcraft plugs. You will drop about 90 bucks, but you won't be burning them out and swelling them up like that. They are the only lugs that will hold up reliably over time.

Some have had good luck with Bosch, but nobody complains about motorcrafts going out early and swelling like that.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ha, okay. They all seem to be good now, I ain't gonna bother replacing them since I just bought them and I just fixed my engine.... I could go buy them, I just spent a lot of money on the upper end rebuild and need to recover :p

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you installed the same type plug??/ If so you are rolling the dice. But look at it this way. Had you asked BEFORE buying or installing these you would be far ahead now. Sadly you are right back in the same jeopardy place you were when you installed these plugs. I hope your lucky enough once again when you finally remove these plugs and install the Motorcraft ZD9 berus

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, I have that new relay which wont fry them, this was caused by severe over voltage..... and cause they are garbage.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Never seen an ac32g with that color body....looks like an autolite to me.;Really

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have that new relay which wont fry them, this was caused by severe over voltage..... and cause they are garbage.

How could you get OVER VOLTAGE? A 12 volt battery puts out 12.5 to 12.8 VDC unless the engine is running, then you might get 13 to 15 volts. When the GP's are cycling the voltage drops to about 8.5 with good batteries.

Have you got a 24 VDC charger?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

doing the same thing and expecting different results.cookoo lol. hey who knows,maybe you'll get lucky this time and you will get different results.you might end up breaking one off this time and have to pull a head or perhaps it will break off while running and ruin your piston requiring a reman.oh boy the excitement of it all.LOL

if its not a Beru,it just wont do.
(it's not that motorcraft/beru plugs can't do this too.it's just that they have by far,the lowest failure rate of this happening.aka very rare.)

you don't save a buck to risk a thousand.the risk to reward ratio makes no logical sense.if its not a Beru,it just wont do.

Last edited:

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The relay is just a switch, it either closes or it doesn't. I'd ditch the cheap glowplugs before one ends up on top of your piston. Then you will be pulling heads and spending real money. 90$ will seem so cheap.;Really

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A relay cannot possibly create overvoltage. It's just a switch; contacts open when the coil is not energized, contacts closed when the coil is energized. So it can't provide more voltage to the "load" side than it receives from the "supply" side.

It CAN provide too LOW a voltage, if the contactor disc or the contacts themselves are corroded or burned up. You would see that by putting a voltmeter on each of the two big terminals (separately) while the relay is energized. The DIFFERENCE between the two is what's called voltage drop. If the contacts internally are in really bad shape, there can be significant voltage drop. But that would result in the GPs not providing enough heat and therefore longer run time to start the truck. It would NOT result in swelling the glow plugs.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically our plugs always run at excess voltage since they are rated at 6v... if most of them failed then the last few survivors "could" have been overjuiced.

This is another reason I need to stress test glowplugs...

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, as soon as the glow plugs were energized I could hear the darn thing blow up haha! I was like ***..... This happened once, realized the controller wasn't grounded, grounded it, tried it again and it did the same thing, replaced blew out plugs and the controller and then it worked the way it was supposed to. I don't know why i was blowing up glow plugs, but at this point it doesn't matter because it's fixed. Before I removed my engine I had the Autolite plugs in there for over a year and no issues. I will get motorcraft plugs and replace them, I just need to recover from repairing my engine. Everything is good, for the most part :p By the way, i put anti-seize on EVERYTHING! I am fairly good with not breaking things off. I was worried about those 2 glow plugs I pulled yesterday but I just slowly twisted them out and they came up. Took a while, but I was slow and patient. Always works, mostly. :rotflmao

Black dawg

Reaction score
You werent blowing up plugs, autolites DO that.
I removed a set from a truck last week that the owner installed. In one weeks time all 8 were dead, with 4 swollen enough to make removal difficult. With 8 new berus, contoller cycles about 15 seconds dead cold (5 deg this morning).
I have bench (torture) tested many different glow plugs, and while lots of them fail, the autolites explode like that. The last autolite that I was trying to use as an example to a parts store (to show them why they should not sell them) exploded at 12 seconds.

Also, the controller cant cycle with no ground:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online

No members online now.