Cheap Gauges

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was at work one day when I noticed the Pyrometer, Oil temperature and transmission temperature gauges inthe 1982 Ford L9000 I am driving, don't work. Mostly because they were not hooked up and just in there for looks. The boss said I could have the ones that didn't work, or wern't hooked up. I took a couple out and brought them home. They all work. I plan on building a little pod to mount above the radio on the dash of my 1993 F250. The all glow the green like my factory dash lights and they were free! I just have to hook them up and get my hands on an EGT probe.

Attachments

• p_00057.jpg
    p_00057.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 42

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Sure, what ones are you looking for? I am sure there are a few there I can get for nothing. oil pressure, trans temperature? I've got a Pyro, Trans temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, diff temperature (not sure if i'll use that one) and an air pressure (if i decide to run an on board air compressor.) They are mostly green backlit ones, but I am trying to fine some spares or ones in better shape on Kijiji.

You can find these things in almost any L8000, L9000, LTL 9000 or anything like that. There a lots of these trucks rotting away in scrap yards because the cabs rotted out so bad you could stand back and listen the rust working away. All you need to get the gauges out of the trucks is a phillips screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think i got the only pyro gauge, I had to take it out of the dash of my dump truck, I checked the other cabs there for one, but there was none left. I know there are trans temp gauges in the old cabs tho, I will check to make sure it works before I say I can get it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i would actually like to have a pyro gauge to:sly if you could come up with one

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It's been a while since this thread was last alive...but I got to working on them gauges again. The probe is from a freightliner, the gauge is from an L9000 Ford and the wiring is from Princess Auto lol.

Can I just plug the probe into the gauge by making my own plug? Or do I need to get a proper legnth wire? What do you guys think here?

Attachments

• Pyro 1.jpg
    Pyro 1.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 18

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's been a while since this thread was last alive...but I got to working on them gauges again. The probe is from a freightliner, the gauge is from an L9000 Ford and the wiring is from Princess Auto lol.

Can I just plug the probe into the gauge by making my own plug? Or do I need to get a proper legnth wire? What do you guys think here?

If that's a pyrometer, then you cannot splice it. Have to use factory connectors. There will either be a special plug in for that type or more likely a set of eye terminals with colour coded wires to match up and screw them together. There are two different types of probes( I think only two :dunno and you have to have the correct probe for the gauge.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I am going to frig with it anyways and see if I can get it close by using different connectors and wires, a torch and a thermometer....If I can't get it close then I am gong to break down and just buy a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online