charging issue

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 90 idi the battery light is on. Voltage output seems find according the gauge ~14.5. Never have any dead battery issues. I actually left the lights on for 4 hours. Truck still started fine, and on the 2 hour ride home it charged the batteries back up again just fine. What should i be testing. The batteries are circa 2004 iirc, i have the receipts from the po. This truck has the 1g with the external regulator.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damned if I know, got the same problem on my 90. I just don't pay any attention to it. My Nephew has had it up in Michigan for 2 years, he's a diesel mechanic and doesn't bother him.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Ditto on the batt light here. Mine appears to be very sensitive and it will finally flicker off after I drive it enough to get back to a full charge, but after starting or with the lights/Ac/wipers on it stays lit even with fresh batts and alternator. I hate idiot lights.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar thing on my tractor. The engine would start no problems and I could get 14.5v from the alternator but the light would flicker on and off.

I changed the voltage regulator ($23.00) and that seemed to fix the problem. Runs better now and I make sure there is a steady load on the battery - so the regulator is charging steadily instead of cutting in and out all the time. Just leave the headlights on all the time the tractor is being used.

I did notice that where the tabs/prongs on the regulator plug into the base, on the old one they were a loose fit and there was some signs of obvious arcing. The new regulator was a better fit into the female receiving connectors and I also used some neverseize as it helps reduce any chance of arcing - a bit like the electrical paste one can buy. Maybe a loose connection/wire in the charging circuit ?

Don't know if my experiences will help you - but no harm in mentioning them.

cheers

mariner

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the battery light is NOT an idiot light. the battery light is a tool for the alt. and voltage regulator. what happens is when you turn the ignition on in any vehicle the ignition switch sends power to the battery light, which turns it on, now the other side of the battery light is connected to the polarity of the alt. (i can get into the details of where it goes but im trying to be simple with this) when the alt isnt turning its a neg polarity, and when it turns (and charges) it goes to a positive polarity, which in turn turns the battery light off. the battery light also lets the voltage regulator know how much to charge. the positive current coming from the battery light tells the voltage regulator how many volts its charging.
also, the alt. is a negitive polarity when it doesnt turn cause if it was always positive then it would drain the battery.
if you dont believe this then put a volt guage on the battery, and then disconnect the battery light, see what happens.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i thinking there seems to be nothing wrong. I'm thinking its the regulator so i'll try that. I'd hate the throw parts at it but if it works good.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Mine does it all the time, and the culprit is ALWAYS the rectangle twp wire plug on the alternator. Its a clip in plug. Doesn't fit to well as it has been taken off and put back on many times. Whenever the battery light comes on, I just wiggle that plug around and the light always goes off.

My alternater is charging at 14.5 also.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector on the white wire is loose, that is the stator wire and turns out the light.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Mine does it all the time, and the culprit is ALWAYS the rectangle twp wire plug on the alternator. Its a clip in plug. Doesn't fit to well as it has been taken off and put back on many times. Whenever the battery light comes on, I just wiggle that plug around and the light always goes off."

I am pretty certain that my alternator failed because of the loose plug you are talking about. A loose connection gives a false reading to the regulator and the charging rate changes.

A loose plug gives the equivalent to resistance = reduced power flow. Increased power demands can get pretty high depending on situation and create situations where the alternator is maxed out.

When my alternator failed it resulted in the alternator catching alight and I had a fire right next to the fuel filter !!!!!! I just pulled into a gas station to fill up with fuel and I could smell burning. I opened the hood and found the alternator on fire - I was real lucky in that I must have caught it just as things failed:eek::eek::eek:. It was a ****** to put out and I used two of the gas stations dry powder extinguishers - water helped too.

Again, this is just my opinion, but for the cost of a new plug you might save your alternator from catching alight. I think the plugs are around $8.00 and they come on a pigtail ready to splice in the wiring.

Just a heads up - you need to attend to that plug and replace it.

Thanks

mariner

gatorman21218

Reaction score
"Mine does it all the time, and the culprit is ALWAYS the rectangle twp wire plug on the alternator. Its a clip in plug. Doesn't fit to well as it has been taken off and put back on many times. Whenever the battery light comes on, I just wiggle that plug around and the light always goes off."

I am pretty certain that my alternator failed because of the loose plug you are talking about. A loose connection gives a false reading to the regulator and the charging rate changes.

A loose plug gives the equivalent to resistance = reduced power flow. Increased power demands can get pretty high depending on situation and create situations where the alternator is maxed out.

When my alternator failed it resulted in the alternator catching alight and I had a fire right next to the fuel filter !!!!!! I just pulled into a gas station to fill up with fuel and I could smell burning. I opened the hood and found the alternator on fire - I was real lucky in that I must have caught it just as things failed:eek::eek::eek:. It was a ****** to put out and I used two of the gas stations dry powder extinguishers - water helped too.

Again, this is just my opinion, but for the cost of a new plug you might save your alternator from catching alight. I think the plugs are around $8.00 and they come on a pigtail ready to splice in the wiring.

Just a heads up - you need to attend to that plug and replace it.

Thanks

mariner

you have a part number?