Champion Glow Plugs

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both starters are compatible. any for 6.9 and 7.3l IDI works and there are several models. I have had good luck with nipponDenso starters, there are debates on which style is better but both work great when new :sly

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Before I dive into this I want to check the wiring for my fender solenoid to make sure it's correct. I've read that people have hacked that up in the past and want to isolate that as being a factor. Thanks!

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN !!!!!

I GOT IT OUT !!

what i mean is that i got my last glow plug out!!

it probably doesn't seem like a big deal Unless You have tried to get your last plug changed. my last one... refused to back out. the fear i had of breaking that tip off inside the cylinder was incredible.

i think in this case it was just a firm carbon buildup on the lower part of the threads that 'locked it' from backing up more than a quarter turn.

i kept shooting the only thing i had, PB Blaster, on the plug per ICanFixItAll's suggestion. [see above] the penetrating oil probably worked itself down the threads and softened the carbon enough to turn it loose. [Special Thanks To ICANFIXITALL... You probably can fix em' all too!]

Looking Back... in ONLY THIS ISSUE [not a tip issue], i probably could have [gently] forced it because i don't think it was the 'tip' that was holding it from turning.

now i have 8 new Motorcraft zd9's installed!! my truck that almost wouldn't start without a heater when cold, now starts great when fairly cold like 30 degrees. [it's still untested in a hard freeze]

ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS KIND OF GLOW PLUG PROBLEM... WHATEVER YOU DO... DON'T FORCE IT. IF YOU CAN'T GET IT OUT EASY, READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN FIND ON HERE BEFORE YOU GO ANY FARTHER. MOST IMPORTANT DON'T RUN AN ENGINE WITH A BROKEN TIP IN IT. THE TIPS ARE VERY TOUGH METAL AND CAN CAUSE CATASTROPHIC DESTRUCTION TO THE ENGINE.

that's why i'm so happy. only someone who has gotten one of these 'problem plugs' out can understand how happy you can feel over this. after a few days, i'm just starting to feel normal over this! Yes... I'M NORMAL !!! NORMAL I SAY... yep, i'm normal. [had brains tested]

-kj

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great work! With so much knowledge available for these trucks just by looking or asking, it's unbelievable that people continue to tempt fate with some products.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its been my pleasure to help find a way to get out a problem glow plug. Heres to others that come along with the same isues. Patience is the right way to do this..

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled my Champions out, they had been in there about 18 months and 3000 miles, and the back two had what looked like some erosion starting on the tips. They came out easy, but they were starting to come apart. I didn't even drive the pickup this winter, so they had one winter on them. They were cycled a lot due to a hard starting pickup, and I only use the pickup around the place, so lots of starts per hundred miles.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Champion must be making there glow plugs in china now. My 1987 had champions in it from the factory so thats what i ran in it. I had that truck until 2000. It had almost 300,000 miles on it. I would change all the glow plugs every fall. A ford service manager that was a family friend told me to change them every year to avoid any problems with them breaking or swelling and not being able to get them out. So i put about 25000 miles a year on them, i lived in nj and sd, with cold weather. I never had one split or swell, and only a few burt out. My good friend had a 1994 and he ran bosch glow plugs and his would burn out constantly. Maybe i was lucky. But from now on it will be zd-9's

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Champs for a LOT of years, besides burning out never any issues.
Back with Beru's again, I did notice the Beru's are a tad bit thicker...with a LOT of starts but not many miles on them the 3 year old Beru's were starting to fail and the tips were eroding away.

Attachments

• 20131113_143647.jpg
    20131113_143647.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 34

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I ran Champs for a LOT of years, besides burning out never any issues.
Back with Beru's again, I did notice the Beru's are a tad bit thicker...with a LOT of starts but not many miles on them the 3 year old Beru's were starting to fail and the tips were eroding away.

This is a great picture of a glow plug. See the body of the plug where it ends the the glow tip starts. See the bevel cut. Well thats the seal where all the compression is stopped at. Ford makes a tool for cleaning this area not really nobody uses it. All the threads do is hold the plug in the head and against the seat in the head. they do not seal like a tapered pipe thread does. Be sure to use anti sieze in addition to what comes on the plugs from the factory. Never allow any to reach the seat or you will have a leak.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
gp seat tool

This is a great picture of a glow plug. See the body of the plug where it ends the the glow tip starts. See the bevel cut. Well thats the seal where all the compression is stopped at. Ford makes a tool for cleaning this area not really nobody uses it. All the threads do is hold the plug in the head and against the seat in the head. they do not seal like a tapered pipe thread does. Be sure to use anti sieze in addition to what comes on the plugs from the factory. Never allow any to reach the seat or you will have a leak.

Do you have a part number and picture of the tool?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726