Centrifuge RPM

tinrat

Reaction score
anyone have knowledge of what RPM works best to remove particulates from WMO? Or is this stupid question? I would think “faster is better” but is there an rpm that works best?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is a wide open question, sort of like what rpm does an engine need to drive up a hill? what kind of engine, how step a hill, etc

when i was looking into trying to build my own years ago it seemed to break down into centrifugal or centripetal force. the greater the measure of gravitates or g's of force you could place on the liquid to a certain extent the faster the contaminants would fall out of the liquid. a centrifuge is basically doing gravity filtering in a greatly accelerated state.

i did find a recommended g's of force the liquid should reach to drop out particles. i also found some online calculators to show the relationship between rpm and drum diameter in how much force you are creating. basically the larger the drum the slower the speed to reach the same g force.

it was cool to play with some calculations and you really have to start watching parts design, strength and balance so you don't make a centrifugal explosion. in the end i just picked up a ready made option from pabiodiesel.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
^^^^^ What Subway said.
When I was looking round to build I looked at lots info, then finally bought a new Centrifuge. But if I remember right, mine is about a 8"-9"-10" bowl & turns at about 3600 RPM. I did know what G force this all calculated out to but have forgot.....3G's, 7G's? Just don't remember.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726