CDR Valley Pan Grommet Diameter

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone...Can somebody tell me what size the cdr valley pan grommet should be? I am afraid to touch the tube that fits in there that goes to the bottom of the cdr...it cracked a little last time I had it off for maintenance. I want to try and replace the tube and grommet, but want to have the parts in hand before I take it off.

Thanks

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can post the part number Monday it's at work but if you wanna look now. The only way I found it was at orileys in a fel pro complete valley pan set with new pan I spent along time looking before I knew that. Anyways fel pro makes it probley have to be ordered

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new style mount is one piece. It has the grommet and tube molded together

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new style mount is one piece. It has the grommet and tube molded together

The new style...is the tube made of plastic? Will it handle being stuck up inside oil resistant hose and clamped? Reason I ask is I think I am going to try and see if I can filter out most of the moisture and oil vapor. I plan to tap into the valley pan hole with hose and hook it up to a compressor air filter & then back into the intake hole and see what happens...

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new style...is the tube made of plastic? Will it handle being stuck up inside oil resistant hose and clamped? Reason I ask is I think I am going to try and see if I can filter out most of the moisture and oil vapor. I plan to tap into the valley pan hole with hose and hook it up to a compressor air filter & then back into the intake hole and see what happens...
It is rubbery. No it won't handle being clamped inside another hose. You would have to find something to stick into the new one and clamp on it. Here is a picture of the two for comparison. I would have included the old valley pan grommet but the only way to get it out was in pieces.
You must be registered for see images attach

This thread may help you in your search for a grommet. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?52472-Dorman-part-42344

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is rubbery. No it won't handle being clamped inside another hose. You would have to find something to stick into the new one and clamp on it. Here is a picture of the two for comparison. I would have included the old valley pan grommet but the only way to get it out was in pieces.

This thread may help you in your search for a grommet. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?52472-Dorman-part-42344

Thanks...that will help a lot...now I can determine hose or pipe od that fits snug inside the grommet..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand you right, what is going to happen is, your going to blow oil out the rear or front seals. When that filter becomes clogged with oil the crankcase pressure will rise. A high mileage engine will have considerable blowby, a cold engine has it also until it's hot. A CDR is "Crankcase Depression Regulator". Why do you not want those vapors to go into the cylinders and be burnt up?

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand you right, what is going to happen is, your going to blow oil out the rear or front seals. When that filter becomes clogged with oil the crankcase pressure will rise. A high mileage engine will have considerable blowby, a cold engine has it also until it's hot. A CDR is "Crankcase Depression Regulator". Why do you not want those vapors to go into the cylinders and be burnt up?

I do want the vapors going back into the intake...What I am trying to do is clean up the vapors some by removing the oil that is in the mist/vapors...The hose from the valley pan grommet will go thru the air/oil separator...then via the outlet from the air/oil separator back to the cdr valve. The cdr valve will still be mounted to the back of the intake...only upside down. The outlet hose from the air/oil separator will hook up to the cdr inlet that was hooked into the valley pan. There is really no filter to plug up...It is kinda like a catch can set-up only I am not going to vent into the atmosphere like a road draft tube.

The cdr will still be doing its original job, its just will be upside down while the oil in the vapors will be separated out. Just have to drain the bowl ocassionally...the worst that can happen is if I don't drain the bowl...the oil will go back into the intake as before. What this does is clean up the intake and prevent the rear cylinders from running hotter than the rest as well as help to keep those valves from gunking up so bad with unburned carbon deposits...

Does that clear things up a bit? Lots of high performance/high compression engines use this set-up...it's just a matter of fabricating one to fit the application. Believe me it help keep the engine cleaner...

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-bay Grommet

This ebay seller has a grommet and cdr tube listed. The shipping is awful but contact the seller. Maybe they will give you a break.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120935406257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

:rotflmao Thanks for the ebay find...WOW! shipping @ $12.42 for a $2.00 part...NUTS!...Anyway, Orielly's has one for $1.99 that works...it is the same size, thickness, etc...oil resistant, heat resistant, etc...etc..only they call it a PCV grommet.

The guy on ebay must think his part is very rare or his shipping numbers are a misprint...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do want the vapors going back into the intake...What I am trying to do is clean up the vapors some by removing the oil that is in the mist/vapors...The hose from the valley pan grommet will go thru the air/oil separator...then via the outlet from the air/oil separator back to the cdr valve. The cdr valve will still be mounted to the back of the intake...only upside down. The outlet hose from the air/oil separator will hook up to the cdr inlet that was hooked into the valley pan. There is really no filter to plug up...It is kinda like a catch can set-up only I am not going to vent into the atmosphere like a road draft tube.

The cdr will still be doing its original job, its just will be upside down while the oil in the vapors will be separated out. Just have to drain the bowl ocassionally...the worst that can happen is if I don't drain the bowl...the oil will go back into the intake as before. What this does is clean up the intake and prevent the rear cylinders from running hotter than the rest as well as help to keep those valves from gunking up so bad with unburned carbon deposits...

Does that clear things up a bit? Lots of high performance/high compression engines use this set-up...it's just a matter of fabricating one to fit the application. Believe me it help keep the engine cleaner...

Catch22.

Reason I ask is I think I am going to try and see if I can filter out most of the moisture and oil vapor. I plan to tap into the valley pan hole with hose and hook it up to a compressor air filter & then back into the intake hole and see what happens...

You didn't say anything about re- useing the CDR here.

Hopefully you'll report back about your experiment.

Is it Jim Beam or Wild Turkey?

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catch22.

You didn't say anything about re- useing the CDR here.

Hopefully you'll report back about your experiment.

Is it Jim Beam or Wild Turkey?

Yeah I will report back...I also see where I was confusing with no mention of using the cdr in the set-up...my bad...Well I know it works...just need to get all the right size parts and hoses for this particular truck.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Recently dealt with my CDR tube and grommet. The grommet came with valley pan, but I needed the tube.

EDIT: ADVISED BY MEMBER dgr IN A LATER POST THAT THIS HOSE IS NOT RATED FOR OIL USE, SO DON'T USE IT!!!!

Last edited:

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa Part

Recently dealt with my CDR tube and grommet. The grommet came with valley pan, but I needed the tube.

Took the old one to a NAPA that had heavy-duty parts also. Came up with this, after cutting off a piece to fit:

Don't know if it'll help here, but hopefully it'll help someone.

Hey idi econoline...that part looks like what I need. Is it tough enough to clamp a hose onto it? Do you remember what Napa calls it or even better...do you know the Napa part#?

Thanks

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hose

Only got the hose at NAPA. Already had the grommet from valley pan kit, WhiskeyBottle2.

The hose shown (with part # on it) is both the right diameter for a really snug fit in the grommet, and for the lower fitting on the CDR.

Haven't looked at it to see if it seal's tight enough for no leaks, but I'll let you know.

That's ok...I already have the grommet now...Got it at Orielly's today for $1.99...I am looking for the part number for the piece sticking up out of your valley pan...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle