CDR oil through the turbo, good or bad?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need to finish up my intake pipe on my 6 door.
ive seen claims that running the CDR through the intake will net you more hp/ftlbs.
im not trying to squeeze every ounce out of this engine,
but my biggest concern is the recycled oil going through the turbo.

before the tear down, i had the CDR attached to the down pipe with a check valve and a lill bit of venturi action.
for me, this worked great and had no issues, and no excessive oil through the exhaust.

my question is, does the oil that gets sucked through the intake, harm the turbo in any way?

2 sides of this in my head,

1) the oil from the CDR can actually help in lubrication,
or...
2) the oil going through the turbo at 20,000 ish rpms will actually harm the compressor wheel...

what say you?

PaulRicciardi

Reaction score
A first gen banks places the cdr on the air box so whatever oil is going through the cdr will end up passing through the compressor. It can't be that bad, mine is fine. I will also say I ran a draw through turbo (carburetor before the turbo) on my street/strip car for a few years before going efi and never noticed any erosion of the compressor wheel. I realize that's apples to oranges being as fuel coming out of a carb is different than oil through a cdr but food for thought.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That fine mist of oil isn't the problem, it's all the combustion by products.

You can also get flakes of gunk from fine dirt getting through and caking up your intake. When those knock loose they can do some minor damage.

I'd just run a road draft tube. Dumping it improperly into the exhaust with forced induction can lead to reversion and pressurizing the crankcase. That one way valve you had on there may shut at high boost, effectively blocking off any ventilation for blow by.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most all run the crankcase vents thru the turbo. That little bit of oil mist won't cause any harm to it. My 99 always has oil in the AIC. Running it thru the exhaust, the exhaust is not hot enough to burn up the oil, if you have a muffler, it will eventually fill with oil. I've seen guys run a road draft thru the exhaust with a Catalytic converter, then wonder why it cost $1500 to replace it. LOL

You can also get flakes of gunk from fine dirt getting through and caking up your intake. When those knock loose they can do some minor damage
Something is wrong with the Air intake filter.

The turbo on my 99 is like the day it was new with a 183K miles on it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overtime, you can and WILL end up eroding the compressor fins. Impossible not to. However-it will take a good long time, as all OEMS run this way.
However, the crankcase gases are always run through a separator. Particle size has a large effect one erosion-due to a higher inertial weight of each particle=higher collison force.
I run my front PCV through a catch can (perforated steel mesh core inside) and then into the turbo. Not enough miles to notice anything on it. Just keep in mind-keep the droplet size as small as possible.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i run it through the intake it will be post air filter, as my set-up is nowhere close to stock.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right-post air filter=pre compressor.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong with the Air intake filter.

Big name oiled gauze and ****** oem paper filters can let very very fine stuff in.

I'd recommend a catch can if it's pre-compressor. You'll be amazed by the goo it'll catch.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mine through my compressor, hasnt hurt my wicked wheel in 10,000 miles but i did replace that because the factory orginal turbo was damaged from what i believe was pieces of carbon build up from the factory air box flaking off and going through it. I now have it in the straight 3" aluminum pipe going into my turbo and i dont anticipate any build up because its such a high velocity air location.

I ran a 1 liter aluminum catch can for 3,000 miles. Caught maybe 2 ounces of oil. I actually developed a front crank leak. I routed it back to intake without catch can and extra 6ft of piping and the leak went away.

I run a water intercooler, which cools post turbo temps 10 degrees below pre turbo temps, so super efficient, and the way its positioned is about 4 inches lower than the intake hat, i have yet to see any accumulated oil in it (which is should act as an excellent catch can since the intercooler condenses the vapors down)

I run mine to the intake side of the turbo and i will even run it that way onces the new S257sx turbo gets here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online