Catastrophic E4OD bellhousing failure(Full fracture)

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
This 93 f250 7.3L has been in the family for the last 20 years, the transmission was rebuilt probably 10 years ago in some trans shop in Love lock Nevada.
So, no transmission problems until right before this happened. My uncle was driving it daily up until it started vibrating violently. The OD light started flashing then the loud clunking noises ensued.
This is all the info i have been given so far. The truck was given to me to fix up and I have yet to get it in my hands. I stopped by the yard it was stored in to take some pictures so I didn't get to hear it run, but i don't think its a good idea to do that.

Here are some pics of the damage. The fracture goes all the way around from one side to another. If you look closely you can see that the inspection plate is holding some of the weight since it is bent and there is a huge chunk missing by the starter.

What do you guys think happened? Exploded flywheel? Blown up TC?

Attachments

• 20131024_162718.jpg
    20131024_162718.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • 20131024_162801.jpg
    20131024_162801.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20131024_162747.jpg
    20131024_162747.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20131024_162751.jpg
    20131024_162751.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 96

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Well, to me, it looks like it started cracking a while ago There are quite a few of the edges, especially around the starter, the have alot of grime and debris in the crack. I think it may have actually failed a while ago... and finally gave it's last mile.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Well, to me, it looks like it started cracking a while ago There are quite a few of the edges, especially around the starter, the have alot of grime and debris in the crack. I think it may have actually failed a while ago... and finally gave it's last mile.
Good point, kinda looks like it. I'm wondering how messed up the TC is since a lot of the weight is resting on the bushing/bearing. I will find out more once I get my hands on it. I guess the up side is that i only have to remove the inspection cover to get the trans disconnected from the block! haha

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might want to remove the torque converter nuts too before you drop the inspection cover. Look closely at the flex plate too for cracks. Other than whats posted about why this happened I have no idea. Never seen something like this before or heard of it. It sure is going to be an expensive repair.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to take the dust cover off to get at the 4 TC nuts, takes a 1/2" or 13mm wrench for the nuts. That tranny is shot and possible the TC itself, look at the TC studs closely. Like towcat said, the trans. mount is bad or maybe just the nuts have backed off leaving the trans. to try and twist which could crack the bellhousing. After the trans. is removed I would take the flex plate off and inspect it. Probably have to replace the GP's anyhow, so I would take them out, makes turning the engine over a lot easier, just a big screw driver on the flex teeth.

Is this a 2WD or a 4WD?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O M Goodness....that's just whacked!

Seen this in a AOD before but not the E4OD and it was caused by wheeling and bad trans mount.

Good luck with it! ya gotta know it's not going to be an inexpensive repair wow...

I have a 4x E4OD here that's good for core/rebuild!

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies you guys. Yes I am aware that this will not be a cheap fix but the truck is worth it. I have started looking for a E4OD case on craigslist but I haven't had any luck.

I didn't even think to look at the trans mount.

You have to take the dust cover off to get at the 4 TC nuts, takes a 1/2" or 13mm wrench for the nuts. That tranny is shot and possible the TC itself, look at the TC studs closely. Like towcat said, the trans. mount is bad or maybe just the nuts have backed off leaving the trans. to try and twist which could crack the bellhousing. After the trans. is removed I would take the flex plate off and inspect it. Probably have to replace the GP's anyhow, so I would take them out, makes turning the engine over a lot easier, just a big screw driver on the flex teeth.

Is this a 2WD or a 4WD?

Its a 4x4.
Thanks for the GP tip, that would make things much easier.

More carnage pictures to come for all those that like seeing them. :puke::D

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Whoa, dang. Hate seeing damage like that! :eek:

When my engine's out, I guess I'll replace my rear mount, just 'cuz. Cheap insurance.

Trans'll be on the jack, anyway. :angel:

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Not sure how shipping would be but I saw one here in Mi on CL . should be a good core it had a TC.
Found it here. http://muskegon.craigslist.org/pts/4114531537.html

jim

That is an awesome deal. The case and transfer case alone is worth the price they are asking. I'm afraid that is to far away though.
EDIT; just looked at the ad again and realized they only want $150 for the trans by itself! :eek: Thats cheap. ;Sweet
i will have a E4DOA out of a 94 oem turbo truck avail soon.
Very cool!

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna get that tranny from towcat, and then switch parts if needed, get this manual from ATSG, cost is about $30, if you've never worked on one before. Google "Automatic Transmission Service Group" or just the ATSG.