Catastrophic E4OD bellhousing failure(Full fracture)

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yesterday was a busy day, I just got the truck moved my place so I can work on it. The glowplugs are shot or the relay is bad. I was horrified to hear the truck start up and start rattling the trans case. The engine sounded great though! Once I get a free day or two I can pull the trans and start taking pics for you guys. Prepare your selves, its going to be ugly. Haha

Bring on the carnage. :D

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I had some time to go work on the truck today. I dropped the pan to drain the fluid, the fluid was dark and had some sparkle to it. The magnet was really fuzzy.
I pulled the glowplugs and some were wet. What could that be? They were only half wet, towards the top? Could this just be fuel?

I didn't get the trans dropped. I need to borrow or buy an impact gun to get the tc bolts off. My craftsman impact gun was stolen. -cuss
You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• 20131124_154726.jpg
    20131124_154726.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That really is a lot of fuzzy steel on the magnet. As for the wet plugs.. No worries. That area is up in the heads.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
That really is a lot of fuzzy steel on the magnet. As for the wet plugs.. No worries. That area is up in the heads.

Yes, I'm still trying to find out if the trans has had a full rebuild. God knows when the fluid was changed last. Im wondering if that fuz is just accumulation from the last decade of use. The filings are so fine its pretty much a sludge. No big flakes.

Glad my wet plugs aren't a big deal. That had me worried for a second.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Just pulled the trans today! I haven't had a lot of spare time over the last few months, school, work, and family events slowed the truck project down. I took a lot of pics of the carnage for you guys.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I think the pictures speak for themselves. The case and the flex plate are destroyed.
The pump shaft is worn, and I think the torque converter is trashed.
I noticed a crack in the case that looked like it may be from a casting defect. It has me wondering.
The trans mount didn't appear to be bad, but what do i know. I can take a pic of that too and post it.
None of the bellhousing bolts or the flex plate bolts were were loose.
The grinding on the outer part of the flex plate that you can see in some pics is from me, you can see that it is near a T/C stud hole. I had to grind half of a T/C nut away because I striped it out.
Also, I can fit an E4OD in my 2001 Saturn SL2! Haha

Last edited:

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
My uncle was driving it daily up until it started vibrating violently. The OD light started flashing then the loud clunking noises ensued.
This is all the info i have been given so far.

The OD light never actually flashed, This was a miscommunication between my uncle and I.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a mess. Now you know that spacer is not available most anywhere. I do have 2 of them pm me if you want to purchase one of them. Besides the trans you will need the spacer. A new flexplate. The flexplate bolts and the washer. Please do not try to reuse any on these parts that are damaged. It appears to me the flexplate failed causing the vibration. The wear on the ruined trans case. Sadly you wont get any kind of core value from that trans like that. Those flexplate bolts require a torque of 47 lbs and MUST have a thread sealant on them. If no thread sealant is used they will leak engine oil past the threads because those bolt holes are drilled thru the crank flange to the oily side of the engine.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Thats a mess. Now you know that spacer is not available most anywhere. I do have 2 of them pm me if you want to purchase one of them. Besides the trans you will need the spacer. A new flexplate. The flexplate bolts and the washer. Please do not try to reuse any on these parts that are damaged. It appears to me the flexplate failed causing the vibration. The wear on the ruined trans case. Sadly you wont get any kind of core value from that trans like that. Those flexplate bolts require a torque of 47 lbs and MUST have a thread sealant on them. If no thread sealant is used they will leak engine oil past the threads because those bolt holes are drilled thru the crank flange to the oily side of the engine.

Thanks for the info!

Is this the spacer? http://s12.postimg.org/3tpdqksnt/20140424_165442.jpg

or is this what you are talking about? http://s12.postimg.org/lih4i74ex/20140424_165450.jpg

I have a cast iron flywheel to replace the broken one. I also have a good core/case to use. I hope I can get a few bucks out of the busted case at a scrap yard. I was told that it was a very violent event when everything let go.

As for the flex plate bolts... why can they not be reused? Are they like head bolts, once they are torqued and stretched they are done?

Last edited:

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I made a video of the carnage as well, It doesnt show you much more than what the pics do. I should have made the vid after I pulled the bellhousing chunk off and the flexplate. I literally discovered the first clue that the flexplate was broken while making the vid.

http://youtu.be/Q24JU-Y3Udo