Carrier Pump Group Buy

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I ordered from Doug shipped from New York. According to the tracking site it will be in my mailbox any minute now. I was surprised how fast I got it with the holiday and all.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine in. Arrived Saturday...so what, 4 days from paypal to in hand? No complaints.

Installing the pump made my other fuel system issues that much more apparent. Spent most of the weekend chasing leaks and air bubbles with my clear tubing. After several tries and dies about 2 miles from the house, I found that my solid tube that runs along the frame had something wrong with it. It'd end up getting plugged somewhere along the line and causing a vacuum. I'm thinking a section of hose bubbled internally and cut off flow. Strangely enough I could release the vacuum and things would work fine for a mile or so before it'd start to starve again. My solution was to take 15 feet of clear tube and just run a new line. Problem solved....until I get the time and funds to run real hose along its intended path.

Also sitting there with all the cranking I was doing put a strain on the batteries...which in turn cooked the alternator first time she fired off. Woo! Spent Sunday evening at the parts store, got a replacement, but "Made in Mexico" bolted it together backwards, had to reclock it in the lot without my pick tools to retain the brushes. I'll say that was fun. At least it tested positive after I got it back together.

With it all in and working, she fires up a lot sooner than she used to. Once my glow plugs come in, I'll be ready for winter. Also, now that its "fixed", I can work on cleaning up the birdsnest of wiring and tubing all coiled up on the fender well, and properly mount this badboy pump with something other than zipties on the heater hose. :D

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine just below the passenger side battery. I made an L-bracket and bolted it down to the brace that comes from the core support and holds up the engine side of the battery box:

You must be registered for see images

The sound it makes when you turn the key on reminds me of the rocket fuel pumps in "Apollo 13" when they are about to lift off. They hear this fast thumping noise, Hayes and Swaggert look at Lovell and he very calmly says, "fuel pumps".

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
PM sent, Doug. I'm in.

I'm convinced by the consensus of all the experts here.

My 89 7.3 NA is getting an entirely new fuel system from the tank pickups to the injectors. I've got all manner of air and fuel leaks, and when I'm done, I want a 100% reliable fuel system! Of course it may take me a few months to do all the work in pieces, now that it's winter.. :-(

Send me the details, Doug.

-Brad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These really are the best electric pump for our engines. Thats proven time and time again. I sure enjoy mine when I turn on the ignition switch in the morning. I hear it filling the lines and the sound is so nice to hear before the engine get lit...:hail:love::thumbsup:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Once I get reassembled and running after an engine pull and trans drop in Jan. (chuffing valve and dead E4OD), I will check back about availability. :frustrate

I have done many a mile in Carrier-reefered bobtails and box trucks. These pumps have never had a problem in our heavy service, normally mounted on the frame above the fuel tank. On our 2014 Freightliner, it is mounted in a VERY exposed location.

On a truck we retired earlier this year, its ancient pump (with a metal bowl!) still worked just fine. Could have jacked it, but I decided to wait for a new pump.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of all the options out there for pumps, like from local auto stores, some online sites and of course catalogs - This seems like the way to go. May just take care of my situation at the moment. It's hard to work on plastic lines when it's so damn cold out, though. After all the problems I have had, an electric pump would be nice and also easier on the starter. Turns out those aren't so cheap.

Reaction score
The sound it makes when you turn the key on reminds me of the rocket fuel pumps in "Apollo 13" when they are about to lift off. They hear this fast thumping noise, Hayes and Swaggert look at Lovell and he very calmly says, "fuel pumps".

Just got done with mine today. Quick question re: the noise. It's a very rapid clicking. From YouTube videos I've found, this seems normal. Just want to verify.

Mounted mine on the same piece, btw. Instead of a bracket, I just drilled some holes in the support itself. I had to remove the battery tray to get at everything (which means I'll have to do the same if I ever want to remove it), but it overall this was an easy job.

Mike