Carrier Pump Group Buy

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm going to get a pump. Few questions:

Has anyone tried to mount it on the frame rail? is it a sealed pump? I'm thinking I'd like to cut the existing fuel lines out, put in some larger diameter lines, and mount the pump and my 3 fuel filter setup on the frame rail. I also want to ditch the stock fuel filter mounted on the engine (which sucks IMO)

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes some one has mounted the pump under the truck it has 1/8th not threaded ports. I think the filter head being the highest point in the fuel system helps you get air out of the fuel system.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm going to get a pump. Few questions:

Has anyone tried to mount it on the frame rail? is it a sealed pump? I'm thinking I'd like to cut the existing fuel lines out, put in some larger diameter lines, and mount the pump and my 3 fuel filter setup on the frame rail. I also want to ditch the stock fuel filter mounted on the engine (which sucks IMO)

If you want larger you are going to have to go all teh way into the tanks and ditch your Fuel selector valve for some manual valves, the metal lines to the tanks are 5/16 od and the internal openings in the fsv choke down to around 1/4. I'm not sure what teh largest internal opening you can get in a 1/8 npt nipple or jic fitting is

I replaced my line all teh way and went with manual valves and jic fittings, but went 5/16 all teh way since that is the max all teh way back to teh tanks ( actually it's larger than the id of teh metal lines) so it's plenty large to supply the fuel . I towed heavy all over the western us and never once starved for fuel
The only place on teh stock system there is a 3/8 line is right where teh line goes from the lift pump to the filter and on some from the fsv to the lift pump

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
GenLightening thank i got my pump today thx you bud, and just a quick question i have mine wired up with a relay well for the signal to turn the pump on when i turn the truck on we have it wired to the radio well brain fart when the truck cranks the radio turns off so the pump turns off as well my question is where is everyone wireing to for the relay to come on thx

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GenLightening thank i got my pump today thx you bud, and just a quick question i have mine wired up with a relay well for the signal to turn the pump on when i turn the truck on we have it wired to the radio well brain fart when the truck cranks the radio turns off so the pump turns off as well my question is where is everyone wireing to for the relay to come on thx
There is a red wire that runs to/from the ip that you can tap into. Key on = pump on

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score

I think he's got you covered. The IP power wire is an easy place to tap into for a signal (NOT for main power).

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to post this up again i am running 3/8 fuel line from the where the metal line joins the plastic line (5/16" for about 1 inch). this goes to the pump mounted on the fender. Then the fuel sender unit is between the pump and filter.

At idle i get 7lbs of fuel pressure. Any more than idle it buries the needle to 0.....is the inj pump really pulling this much fuel?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Got mine installed sometimes when I come to a stop without downshifting it will die not sure what's going on but it always starts right back up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At idle i get 7lbs of fuel pressure. Any more than idle it buries the needle to 0.....is the inj pump really pulling this much fuel?

You've got a restriction somewhere, or the pump isn't doing it's job. In order for your timing to be consistent, you must maintain presure.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got a restriction somewhere, or the pump isn't doing it's job. In order for your timing to be consistent, you must maintain presure.

i would agree. but literally the last restriction possible is the 12" of plastic/rubber hose coming from the valve to my new hose.

I will say this. It does not feel like it's starving for fuel. The thing runs like a top...

The only solution i can think of is to put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve and see what it reads?