Carrier bearing questions

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much play is normal in a center support bearing?

My recently purchased S1654 has a bad driveline vibe on decel, well anytime the drivetrain isn't loaded up actually. The center support bearings have about 1/4" of movement side to side from the center line and the rubber isn't looking too good.
There are two support bearings, it's a 26 ft box truck with miles and miles of drivshaft.
and a followup question:

How do I replace them? Do they slide over the yokes somehow? I've got no problem doing the u-joints and such, they're just bigger than what I'm used to, but I've never installed a carrier bearing like that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actual "bearing" should not have any side to side play in it. The rubber around it might move around a little. Most carrier bearings are just pressed on. I find it easier to use a grinder to cut the bearing apart until all you are left with is the inner race, and then carefully cut that piece 95% of the way through, until you can us a punch to crack it the rest of the way. The new bearing will go on a hell of a lot easier than the old one comes off.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I suspect that the bearings are not bad, but I thought a 1/4" of play in the rubber to each side was probably a little much. I'm going to have the driveshafts all pulled to do u joints, so I might as well do the support bearings and the rubber isolators and just not worry about it. I'll cut the races and just use a chisel to finish them off.

I may just take it to the driveshaft shop and tell them to fix the vibe. The labor rates aren't rediculous, but they just moved another 40 miles from my house, so the diesel there and back will cost me $100. It was so awesome when the driveshaft shop was 15 minutes away...

If the bearings are pressed onto the shaft does that mean that the yokes will have to be cut off an rewelded? I've not looked closely enough at it yet to have an intelligent question. I'll get a chance to stick my head under there tonight on my way home from work and come back to update. Thanks.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The carrier bearings on my 4700 are held on the driveshaft by the yoke. Unbolt the yoke then the carrier bearing comes off. There are pictures of my drive shafts in the post about my swap of the Allison Automatic to a Fuller 6 speed in this forum.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...The labor rates aren't rediculous, but they just moved another 40 miles from my house, so the diesel there and back will cost me $100.....

It's not funny how we now have to measure every trip by cost. I now have dollar figures for trips I used to take....

Going to work - "I'm taking the $35 trip"

Going to wife's work "That's the $20 trip"

Going to my monthly meeting... "That's the $65 trip"

Crazy... sorry for the hijack. Just had to vent.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The carrier bearings on my 4700 are held on the driveshaft by the yoke. Unbolt the yoke then the carrier bearing comes off. There are pictures of my drive shafts in the post about my swap of the Allison Automatic to a Fuller 6 speed in this forum.

I saw your thread but didn't pay much attention. I will look. Thank you.

It's not funny how we now have to measure every trip by cost. I now have dollar figures for trips I used to take....

Going to work - "I'm taking the $35 trip"

Going to wife's work "That's the $20 trip"

Going to my monthly meeting... "That's the $65 trip"

Crazy... sorry for the hijack. Just had to vent.

Yeah, I figure it's 5 bucks just to turn the motor over :(

I did go and fill up the tank with measured amounts of diesel. Turns out my giant box truck managed nearly 12MPG empty from Cleveland to my house. That's not bad for what it is. Still hoping to meet my 10 MPG goal loaded.