Carrier Bearing Play

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Is this too much? Had a tiny vibration when going up hills in overdrive loaded with gravel the other day. I checked all the U joints and they were fine. I did find that my rear yoke going into the back axle had the tiniest amount of play, not rotational but side to side or up or down so before the rally I'm going to put a new rear yoke and a new nut (if I can find one, read to replace the nut when replacing the yoke) so I don't wear the splines out back there. I can barely move it as you can see in the video, but it moves the smallest amount and my other three trucks don't so better safe than sorry.

But I figure while I'm doing all of this and will have the back portion of the driveshaft disconnected I could do the carrier bearing.. if that one is even bad? I read they are supposed to move some. Doesn't seem to make any noise when I put the back wheels up and let the truck rev up, but my phone just picked up exhaust noise in that video so it's useless didn't even upload it.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any play is too much. Looks like the right yoke

For just the yoke or also the carrier? Also how do you know what carrier you'd need? Everyone I find is a different width but I'd like to try and by the stuff ahead of time cause I drive this thing a lot.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both should be tight with no play, if you have a mic you should be able to measure the od of the shaft the bearing is pressed on, which will be the id for the bearing that you need. If it’s not all rusty you may be able to read a part number on the bearing

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It looked to me like the rubber around your carrier bearing is breaking down. It appears to be in separate pieces. It should be just one piece. You may get a little bit of up and down or side to side movement when pressing on the driveshaft hard. It's rubber, it will flex some. I'd say definitely replace the carrier bearing.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well side to side it doesnt move much but I tried pressing up on it tonight and it moved enough to make an uncomfortable feeling in your stomach. Enough if there was an opening I could have shoved a screwdriver in there.

So that's on the list too. I know theres different sizes from some googling and sure enough mine doesn't seem to match them. On advanced autos site theres this one https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...yPe_XP0U0s7gjKU5y3UaAvfPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which says its 1.37 inches. I don't know where the hell the micrometer went but unscientifically using a pair of vice grips I pulled the boot going into the carrier from the rear axle back and measured 1 5/16 which is like 1.31 inches. So did I measure close enough to assume that size is right or was I not measuring in a good area or is there 400 sizes of these haha..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well side to side it doesnt move much but I tried pressing up on it tonight and it moved enough to make an uncomfortable feeling in your stomach. Enough if there was an opening I could have shoved a screwdriver in there.
That's what I saw in the first part of your video. That's why you need to replace the carrier bearing.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely isolated that 80% of my issues is it. Shoved a piece of steel above the rubber portion of the carrier so the bearing wasn't able to move in the rubber holder and all the noise and almost all of the vibrations are gone. I'd just leave it as is since the bearing is ok itself but I already bought a new one so I'll just change it out one of these days. Before or after the rally is still to be determined but my local guy doesn't have a press tall enough..

Also, rotationally if the truck is sitting in neutral on flat ground on these two piece types I cant move the shaft clockwise or counterclockwise from trans to carrier, but after the two piece and carrier I can move the back driveshaft the tiniest amount possible. Cant make it make a noise moving it back and forth but you can feel a tiny tiny amount. Hoping when I put the new rear pinion yoke on that also goes away. Surely it would wear before the splines in the two piece area of the drive shaft.. its barely anything but I don't have any other two piece drive shafts to see if this minute play is normal or not.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed one and remember it was a ****** to get disassembled. Seem to recall the aroma of PB Blaster, frustrated mental state, and elevated BP......... Reassembly was simply. With new bearing installed, mine still has some vibration. I've considered omitting carrier bearing and replacing with one long driveshaft. Another "tip" check your drive shaft for missing balance weights, might be the source of bad vibes.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of carrier bearings, they almost always need replacing on these old trucks. They are a pain to remove, and I usually just surgeon them off with a 3" cutoff wheel

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I do a lot of carrier bearings, they almost always need replacing on these old trucks. They are a pain to remove, and I usually just surgeon them off with a 3" cutoff wheel
Good idea. It's not like you're saving it for anything anyway.