can i safely bore out a 7.3?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
I tore into the motor and found it had some water sitting in it for a while. I am going to try to hone it out but i think there is going to be some "spots" that will stand out. i am going to order a re-ring kit for it soon and i just need some opinions. Also where san i find the best price name-brand rebuild kits? I want to get this done so i can have my truck back. :mad: ;Really

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I know how you feel and I wish I could help you but I do not have that knowledge yet, I do hope you get it done soon and I'm glad we have a lot of guys here that will help you :D

aaklingler

Reaction score
Only if you bore it out big enough to stick a sleeve in. You might want to measure it and make sure your within spec to stay standard or you might be burning a bunch of oil.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes you can bore out a 7.3 some have with no ill affects YET you take an already thin cylinder wall and make it thinner greater risk for cavitation best thing for long life would be to bore and sleve it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can bore a 7.3IDI. I have mine bored 20 over. But, this was before gaining the knowledge of cavitiation and it's prevalence on the 7.3 IDI. -cuss :puke: I'm using a coolant filter precharged with DCA to pretect it, but will it be enough??? I've seen not signs or symptoms of cavitation, but the project truck is not finished and there are not really any miles on the motor. But, with all that being said, I now have two spare 7.3's just in case this bored motor cavitates. With the knowledge I have now................would have bored the motor during the rebuild????.....NO! I would've resleved the motor back to spec, or even sleved it down to a 6.9.

But, what's done is done, can't change the past. I'll just drive it like it is and keep it treated with DCA............hoping for the best.

Heath