Can I run without brake rotor splash shields??

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my rotors and the splash shields are pretty much trashed. Checked with the local ford parts and thier discontinued , Its alot of work to get them at the scrap yard so I was thinking of running without them. Is that a good idea? One of the members posted that he runs without them with no issues, so I'm wondering what other members think???

Thanks

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
..the FIRST thing I did when rebuilding parts on my D60 was tear them little ******** off! I have NEVER....I repeat, NEVER ran a vehicle with them. They aren't required by law here, but you may want to check where you live.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not, but they probably keep alot of small rocks,sand, mud,etc... from gouging out your rotors and killing that nice set of brake pads. maybe you could make some out of a old milk jug or something

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you aren't going off-roading on a regular basis, there's no need for them.
I have yet to see a EMS vehicle with the shields on. They rather get more cooling first.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'm done with them then. I found them online for 74.00 apiece and that dosen't include shipping, I'd rather spend that on something else like injectors from type4. I'm strickly street, not too many places to go off road where I'm at, way too many people here.:eek:

Thanks
V.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are meaning those paper-thin metal shields that are behind the rotors, I can't see them being much more than an annoyance.

My always-on-the-black-top truck developed a horrendous screeching :eek: , sort of like all of the school-teachers in hell dragging their long finger-nails across the black-board, except louder.

Somehow, one of those shields had started dragging on the rotor. LOL

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you go offroad (past the gravel graded roads), then those "shields" turn into scoops that hold mud, gravel, and sand against your rotors.

i've always removed them during the first front end work on any vehicle i've had. my car enjoys less brake fade on the track without them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ditched mine on the Moosestang when I did the 8 lug conversion. No consequences yet. And my rotors still look perfect.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The dust shields actually funnel air into your brakes to help cool them. As a insentive they actually blow alot of the brake dust off the wheels as well. But if you are 4 wheeling they grab all kinds of crap and throw it at the brakes