Can I put a 6.2 where a 6.5t is?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
hey DD, heres a kick a$$ video of our 599 block 6.5l with the holset 351VGT turbo...

Part1 is a walk around and explanation......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnfQrDZoOk

heres is part 2 revving...enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lgyn1jBrhE

Neat videos, very nice setup you've got there! I just finished putting a 6.2 in a C65 chevy truck so it's nice to see it's been done before. What did you use for a transmission?

There are some 660 cast 6.2's that have the turbo oil port in the front, I've had one and have heard of others. They are usually late models, like early '90's.

Black dawg

Reaction score
i have never seen a 6.2l with the oil pickup on the front of the motor... are you sure it is a 6.2l and not a 6.5l? if it is a 6.2l it will say right beside the oil port on the front pass. side "GM-D 6.2L" if its a 6.5l it will have "GM-D L"

it is highly doubtfull that it is a 6.2l, if it is, its the first one i have ever seen..... we have owned and worked on many of the 599 casting 6.2l and never seen it...

it said 6.2l and was a two piece rear main. it was a complete goodwrench motor and had 6.5 heads. I had the heads off and it was definitely a 6.2

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Neat videos, very nice setup you've got there! I just finished putting a 6.2 in a C65 chevy truck so it's nice to see it's been done before. What did you use for a transmission?

There are some 660 cast 6.2's that have the turbo oil port in the front, I've had one and have heard of others. They are usually late models, like early '90's.

we used the sm-465 4 speed, but are lookin to change it for a 4l80e with a stand alone controller, it is kinda heavy the truck, but if the 4l80e breaks, we are thinkin at-545 allison..... the jump between the gears with the sm-465 is kind of a PITA...

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
it said 6.2l and was a two piece rear main. it was a complete goodwrench motor and had 6.5 heads. I had the heads off and it was definitely a 6.2

we have never seen a goodwrench motor yet, but it makes sense that that would be the one with the oil port, as the motor was a replacement for evey thing diesel in the gm line up....;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online