Can I put a 6.2 where a 6.5t is?

sak778

Reaction score
Greetings Friends,
I have a 94 gmc 2500 with a 6.5T 4l80e 4x4. Can i put a 6.2 out of an 80's suburban into it? What will I have to reuse? I know i need to keep the electronic injection pump with the pmd, shorter injectors and lines and manifolds and intake.
Will the 6.2 work with the turbo? will all my accessories bolt on? My 6.5 block is broke/missing around the starter bolts. Thats how I got it. Yes a have got the bolt on brace.
Any other options I should look at? I'm new to the 6.2's and 6.5t's but i've had a 7.3 powerstroke and a 6.9 idi ford.
What are the differences between an 83 and an 87 6.2na? these are my choices to replace my 94 6.5t. The 6.5t in my truck is also doing the dissappearing coolant trick. Soooo I'm thinking thad one or both of my heads are cracked.
Soooo is using the 6.2 heads out of the question? I just got laid off so money is tight. But I also bought a used tested pmd and a new extension cabel so I can get it off the intake manifold. So I will spend money where it's needed. suggestions, reccomendations? Thanks, Sean

YMMV

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Greetings Friends,
I have a 94 gmc 2500 with a 6.5T 4l80e 4x4. Can i put a 6.2 out of an 80's suburban into it? What will I have to reuse? I know i need to keep the electronic injection pump with the pmd, shorter injectors and lines and manifolds and intake.
Will the 6.2 work with the turbo? will all my accessories bolt on? My 6.5 block is broke/missing around the starter bolts. Thats how I got it. Yes a have got the bolt on brace.
Any other options I should look at? I'm new to the 6.2's and 6.5t's but i've had a 7.3 powerstroke and a 6.9 idi ford.
What are the differences between an 83 and an 87 6.2na? these are my choices to replace my 94 6.5t. The 6.5t in my truck is also doing the dissappearing coolant trick. Soooo I'm thinking thad one or both of my heads are cracked.
Soooo is using the 6.2 heads out of the question? I just got laid off so money is tight. But I also bought a used tested pmd and a new extension cabel so I can get it off the intake manifold. So I will spend money where it's needed. suggestions, reccomendations? Thanks, Sean

YMMV
you can use the 6.2l for your truck but there are a couple things that need to be changed
1: you will need to change the housing on the front of the motor to the 6.5l housing so you have your crank speed sensor, also you need to change you bottom gear for the timing chain to the 6.5l gear so you have your relucter wheel
2: you will need your 6.5l injectors as the 6.2l ones are longer and cause problems with the turbo manifold

3: you will need to run your oil supply for the turbo from the back of the motor on the 6.2l with a tee where the oil pressure sensor is

other than swapping all that stuff, plus your 6.5l sensors it works perfect...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember for sure or not if the 6.2 crank is ground down far enough for the relucter wheel to be fitted on behind the timing gear.

turbonator

Reaction score
i have pressed on the bottom gear to an '86 6.2l crank, it went on great, but the mains were all cracked so the motor never seen service...:frustrate

i heard a new rumor recently about the old redblocks.... when detroit first built the motor they had intended that it was a forged crank to be used, but gm changed that early in production and it did not make detroit very happy.... so the first half of 1982 6.2l had forged cranks... pretty cool ;Sweet

by the way towcat, i love your avatars...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
There can be clearance issues with the short injectors when used in 6.2 heads, the injection lines won't fit right and the turbo side manifold is very tight with the nuts. The best bet is if you have a good 6.2 and your 6.5 heads are good put the 6.5 heads on the 6.2 block and swap all the rest of your 6.5 stuff over.

I have found in my own experience that the '82 blocks and cranks are junk just like all the rest. I've had several early '82 blocks and even a '81 date cast block and they were all cracked.

turbonator

Reaction score
There can be clearance issues with the short injectors when used in 6.2 heads, the injection lines won't fit right and the turbo side manifold is very tight with the nuts. The best bet is if you have a good 6.2 and your 6.5 heads are good put the 6.5 heads on the 6.2 block and swap all the rest of your 6.5 stuff over.

I have found in my own experience that the '82 blocks and cranks are junk just like all the rest. I've had several early '82 blocks and even a '81 date cast block and they were all cracked.

it would be nice just to go out and buy a couple of new p-400 6.5l motors with the girdle......;Sweet but for us that is not possible...:dunno

we have had good luck with the 599 6.5l blocks 2 for 2 so far... the second one has sketchy fire rings on the front 2 pistons so it will get decked....

turbonator

Reaction score
hey dieseldummy, did you ever combine a DS4 with a DB2? i remember you were thinking about it last year...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Yeah, new AMG stuff would be great but like you say out of the budget. I've had pretty good luck finding 6.2's and piecing motors together, but it seems like for every good block I find there are 2 more that are junk.

DS4 and DB2 not compatible, DB4 and DB2 may be doable. I stumbled on a marine pump a while back and have been running it, need more are before more fuel again. A good 6.5 pump will do all a good 6.5 being used for towing/ect needs, the marine pump is a whole different ballgame... way more than a towing motor needs. I've heard from people who know more than I do that the 4 plunger pump will only do a small amount more than the marine pump. I guess it stands to reason that even though there are 4 plungers they only travel maybe half as far due to the piston lenght. I dunno, have to run one to see.

Last edited:

turbonator

Reaction score
DS4 and DB2 not compatible, DB4 and DB2 may be doable. I stumbled on a marine pump a while back and have been running it, need more are before more fuel again.

what turbo are you running now?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
........by the way towcat, i love your avatars...
here's the fullsize of the latest......
since i have all three makes, I tend to **** off less people by putting up pics of girls rather than my ugly trucks.....:eek:

Attachments

• legs3.jpg
    legs3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 20

Black dawg

Reaction score
you will need to use the 6.5 balancer along with that crankshaft gear. also some of the 6.2 have the oil port in the same spot as the 6.5 for the turbo.

turbonator

Reaction score
you will need to use the 6.5 balancer along with that crankshaft gear. also some of the 6.2 have the oil port in the same spot as the 6.5 for the turbo.

i have never seen a 6.2l with the oil pickup on the front of the motor... are you sure it is a 6.2l and not a 6.5l? if it is a 6.2l it will say right beside the oil port on the front pass. side "GM-D 6.2L" if its a 6.5l it will have "GM-D L"

it is highly doubtfull that it is a 6.2l, if it is, its the first one i have ever seen..... we have owned and worked on many of the 599 casting 6.2l and never seen it...