can I prevent coking with WMO?

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has found a way to prevent coking around the injectors when burning WMO? Does running a higher diesel ratio help?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think I've read in other threads that using a fuel additive or even just atf helps. also every few tanks running a tank or two of straight diesel helps to clean it out.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to two tank WMO.Start/stop the truck on diesel then run the oil only when the engine is up to operating temp.It also helps to heat the oil as well.It doesn't have to be WVO hot but about 150*F seems like a good temp.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i heard water injection can clean up the cylinders real nice

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I think I'll look into the water injection. The WMO I've been running was actually over half used ATF and it still coked up pretty fast. I may try heating it as well

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just run mine around town hauling heavy on diesel. Gotta burn the carbon out.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preheat the fuel. I have been running WMO for over two years now with no coking. I plumed in a heat exchanger right before the IP and when fully warmed up it heats the fuel to 165-180. Like everyone else has said only run the WMO when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Hope this helps.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Preheat the fuel. I have been running WMO for over two years now with no coking. I plumed in a heat exchanger right before the IP and when fully warmed up it heats the fuel to 165-180. Like everyone else has said only run the WMO when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Hope this helps.

yup thats what i do to, i heat it like waste veggie oil to prevent those problems

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a rad trans cooler heat the WMO enough? I have been thinking about burning WMO but coking is a real worry. Also will water or water **** injection erode the turbo impeller?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water injection should happen after turbo-mines in the intake elbow shooting upstream to help atomiz it. people have tried the rad cooler thing and i havnt heard of it working. at best it might raise the temp alittle bit, i would do it another way.

i dont heat my wmo but i would like too.
i just run water injection and every couple of tanks i fill up with d#2 and tow the boat down the interstate for a while with the water injection still kickin...cleans it right up. i also park my truck in the garage when its cold so that the wmo in the tank stays warm (heated shop). if i didnt have a garage then i would definatly heat it during the winter at least.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water injection should happen after turbo-mines in the intake elbow shooting upstream to help atomiz it. people have tried the rad cooler thing and i havnt heard of it working. at best it might raise the temp alittle bit, i would do it another way.

i dont heat my wmo but i would like too.
i just run water injection and every couple of tanks i fill up with d#2 and tow the boat down the interstate for a while with the water injection still kickin...cleans it right up. i also park my truck in the garage when its cold so that the wmo in the tank stays warm (heated shop). if i didnt have a garage then i would definatly heat it during the winter at least.

Thanks loads. How much water are you shooting to it and for how long at a time? Thanks again.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

what heat exchanger are you running and do you have any pictures of your setup. thanks for the good info.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pictures are not the best but they are all I have on my laptop. The picture with the turbo parts shows the heat exchanger before installation, the second shows it installed, and the third shows my Racor Voromax that I also use in my system. I hope this helps. If you have any questions lmk.

Attachments

• 198.JPG
    198.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 90