can I prevent coking with WMO?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
At what percent WMO does the engine start to coke? 5? 25? 50? I want to try it but I also dont want to fool with water injection and the like. If I stick with 5-10% should I be ok or does coking happen no mater what ratio?

hot2go4x4

Reaction score
Jimbob, I have not had a coking problem at all in 2002 7.3 F250SD. Someone here should be able to. I am at 70/30 in teh desert heat of Las Vegas Valley. I run 70/30 in summer, 50/50 in winter season. My temps are moderate in our winter season. Lows of 32 highs of 125

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thanks. My plan is to not save loads of money on fuel but rather to burn up all the excess oil I got laying around and recover a little bit of the cost of the oil ($10 a gallon - $3 dollar a gallon of fuel it replaces when burned)

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personaly would be worried about coke with ratios higher then 30%. but to be honest that is just a gut feeling, no evidence to support that statement...

but as far as not wanting to run water injection. how come? not really any bad side effects until you start really dumping in the water... #2Diesel will leave deposites in the combustion chamber by itself, running water injection will cool your boost temps and keep things shiny clean.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, what do you mean water injection. I don't understand???
I am running 70/30 WMO/diesel ratio.
Just smogged for the second year and clean on inspection.

My cleaning process includes,pour WMO thru 1 micron bag into 55 gal tank #1, heating WMO to 120, suction thru magnetics to gearrotor pump, pumped thru WET2400 coil to centrifudge @ 90 psi for 7000 rpm, dumped into tank #2, a 55 gal drum.
Close off tank #1, open bypass on tank #2 and recirculate back thru WET2400 & centrifudge to tank #2. The WET2400 is programed to break hydrocarbon chain of WMO for better cleaning and I found inproves atomization for a cleaner burn.

water injection = a system that sprays a very fine mist of water into the intake (pressure side of turbo). cools boost and keeps things clean. it also gives a small boost in mpg

im not trying to argue but i dont see how you can break a hydrocarbon chain without a chemical reaction ie. fire, chemical reactions, fractioning ect...
the only way that i know of to break a hydrocarbo chain in mass quantities is with a fractioning tower. please explain this WET2400

if you mix in your #2 or kero before the filtering the results are alittle better. also i would try to get your oil temp up to about 150 this helps too. oil is a high temp fluid and i have found that at anything less then 150 degrees its still pretty thick;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i personaly would be worried about coke with ratios higher then 30%. but to be honest that is just a gut feeling, no evidence to support that statement...

but as far as not wanting to run water injection. how come? not really any bad side effects until you start really dumping in the water... #2Diesel will leave deposites in the combustion chamber by itself, running water injection will cool your boost temps and keep things shiny clean.

I dunno I dont really understand how it works and frankly my truck has gone this far without it so it can probably survive just how she is. Also I'm all natural so its not gonna help me run 30 pounds of boost and 2500 degrees on the pyro. I exaggerate of course. Maybe ill do some research on it but its way down there on the list for me. (below leaking axles, leaking t-case, bad fuel senders/gauges, Air horns, new injectors... you get the picture)

And with 10% mix I plan on burning it shouldnt make a big difference anyway correct?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno I dont really understand how it works and frankly my truck has gone this far without it so it can probably survive just how she is. Also I'm all natural so its not gonna help me run 30 pounds of boost and 2500 degrees on the pyro. I exaggerate of course. Maybe ill do some research on it but its way down there on the list for me. (below leaking axles, leaking t-case, bad fuel senders/gauges, Air horns, new injectors... you get the picture)

And with 10% mix I plan on burning it shouldnt make a big difference anyway correct?

well if thats all your gonna run then i dont see a problem with it. but i would make sure to "get on it" every once in a while and burn out the deposites.:D

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preheat the fuel. I have been running WMO for over two years now with no coking. I plumed in a heat exchanger right before the IP and when fully warmed up it heats the fuel to 165-180. Like everyone else has said only run the WMO when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Hope this helps.

Oregon101, do you know where you timing is set with #2 running in it? I know that it must change the timing a good bit with the WMO in it. I just put my First batch in at 75%, power went through the ceiling and for the first time I can hear the exhaust. I know that my timing is way retarded, but the WMO make the engine act like it's timed right, or close anway!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done excessive testing with 90/10 mix WMO anything goes in my truck.
Coking? No sign of it, even after complete teardown, What does happen is it will
contaminate your sump oil in a hurry.
I went over 20,000 miles on one oil change all on WMO on a NEW engine and pulled
an oil sample and the additive and wear metals were excessively high but viscosity
and oxidation and Nitration were still within spec.
This was done with high efficiency filtration also, Now the first 10,000 I did not
have a additional Bypass filter, so the loading of wear metals was evident during this time.

Since then I have changed the oil and started off with fresh filtration so the results this time should improve.

I currently pull down 26mpg with pump fuel and 20 with WMO.

So I'm all good with the WMO and saving coin!

Javier

turbovanman

1984 turbo van!!!
Reaction score
I started running alternate fuels about 3 months ago, I've burned about 500 gallons and coked my injectors almost shut. I currently run a 20 gallons 70% WATF and 30% gas with 5 gallons jet fuel mixed in but almost out of jet fuel. The visosity is .800 and diesel IIRC is .890. I've saved roughly $1500+ in fuel costs but have replaced 2 sets of GP's and one IP which was bad before I started burning waste oils so that doesn't count. I just installed a set of modified injectors set to 2800 psi and holy crap, what a difference. The biggest is how smooth she is and how little smoke I now have. I now plan on buying a heat exchanger but not sure on which one. Not sure links are allowed but these are the 3 I am looking at.

I also centrifuge my fuels, for at least 10 hours. Still running the stock 6.5 turbo fuel filter which is good to 4-5 microns I believe. I have a 10 micron pre and a 2 micron post to install yet.

Korolev HD WVO Bio Diesel Remote PS3712 Fuel Heater Filter Water Separator Devic | eBay

820 8751 Zerostart Diesel Fuel Warmer Heater | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/plate-HEAT-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd8072629

Modified injectors and my plugged up injectors.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

turbovanman

1984 turbo van!!!
Reaction score

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
These use both coolant and glow plugs, but you wouldn't need to use both. The nice part about them is that they use a thermal switch to regulate the glow plugs as the coolant increases in temperature. I just bought one for use with my WMO. Hoping it helps things go a little smoother.