Can I do it????

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
ohh ok, i got ya now. I was thinkin all on one load. A trailer rewire shouldnt be too bad. just time consuming. U have to get a kit from a trailer shop, and wire in your controller.

I dont have a clue what the single pin is. I do agree with Mel on this one too. Its a little hard trying to charge what its worth to a friend. People try to think it doesnt cost a lot of money to haul things (this is why im not a big truck Owner/operator anymore)

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Well ya, understand that. It was just an idea that ive got up in the air. No harm in thinking about it, but it did get me to think about a brake controller. Although ive had no problem stopping my trailer loaded

Exekiel69

Reaction score
No brakes = don't tow. If it is a one time thing is not worth it to charge for Your time, specially if it is a friend/buddy.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you say he's running illegal w/o DOT numbers and commercial logbook etc? Isn't that only if your GCVWR is over 26,000 lbs? Also if your truck is rated like mine, you should be close to or under the sticker weight, mine has a max. legal GCVWR at 14,500lbs, truck weighs 5200lbs m/t, dry, so figure 300lbs of fuel, and you and your luggage gets to around 6,000 so you should have around 8500lbs of useable GCVW left over. The thing that would scare me most in my rig about going through the mountains is the fact that the steering can be iffy and those roads are narrow and dangerous such that if teh steering doesn't work or you make a mistake you fall off the mountain and die! So make 100% sure all that works, and I would agree that you need trailer brakes since you'll be close to your legal GCVWR. In Florida, technically you need trailer brakes for any trailer over 3,000 lbs,(or maybe 2,000?) in practice enforcement is sporadic and with boats often the electric brakes don't work after a few trips to the salt water, so if it stops well and isn't in gross and obvious violation you usually won't get stopped and ticketed. Maybe you could work it out so that whoever you'll be hauling for pays for the parts you'd need to do the e-brakes, that way you'd only have to put out your own labor. Seems fair to me. Good luck and be safe.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. If he was just going from Indiana to, lets say Cleveland, or even Erie, I'd say keep a good distance in front of you and maybe you don't need brakes on the trailer, but crossing the Appalachians, and the Blue Ridge even... Folks who have never been there just don't appreciate the beauty and danger of those "hills". Even Rob (of Blizzard fame) from Colorado laughed at our "mountains" until he crossed them.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
I live in WV home of the Appalachian mtns and i would not even think of pulling a trailer w/o trailer brakes. I think you should be okay if you get a brake controller and take it easy. i have hauled numerous gooseneck loads of various stuff up and down mtns and had no probs.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Well my father and I talked to over. Either which way we are going to put trailer brakes on the trailer, because i do haul some pretty hefty loads or are going to (10k or so) and i also pull a friends trailer which is bigger then mine and has brakes, so a brake controller is not going to be a waste of money. I was wonder what brake controller do you guys recommend, i dont want something too expensive but i dont what a complete POS.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
I personaly like Tekonsha brake controllers http://www.tekonsha.com/home.html Have had them in a couple trucks over the years. A good majority of my friends have them too. But when i bought this truck it had a Redline brake controller in it, and it works good for the moment. but when it goes if it does i am going to get another tekonsha controller

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online