Can I do it????

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Ok folks. here is the deal. A coworker of mine sent me a line that he needed some items transported (wood beams and a car). And he said he would give me a good amount of money to do so. Well Im estimating on 7k of beams and the car is a little VW TDI. I live 50 miles west of Louisville, KY. And about 2.5 hours away from rising sun, for you that went to the IDI meet.

Well my question is, it figures to be about 1600 miles max (ive not got exact locations that was from house to charleston SC and some small town in the southwest corner of GA) to my house back. I figure for 2 hours unload time on the beams and 30 minutes load time for the VW and drive time would total around 38 or 39 hours. What kind of pay would you take for this??????

Another question. How do these ole IDI's handle mountains. I'm going right through the applicachens mountains. Ill be going through them with my truck and trailer loaded with beams. Anything i need to be concerned about.

Things im going to do before (or try to)
Change Oil (Rotella 30 weight)
Balance and Rotate tires
Check tranny Fluid (zf 5 speed)
Check Coolant and SCAs
Clean Air Filter
New Fuel Filter
Check Wheel Bearings
Check transfer case fluid (last one died because of lack of)
Put on Stack w/ flapper (I think there cool)
Get cell phone

And is there anything i forgot to put on the i need to do list add it.

I'm thinking very serious about doing this. But on the flip side i dont want to break my truck. I think the truck is up to handle it. But im always open to suggestions.

Thanks

kevin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to load all this stuff on? That's a lot of weight for a bumper pull. Not out of the question, but it needs to be balanced well. I'd put a good 300 pounds on the hitch for sure. How will you get your 16,000 pounds stopped? No question that you can pull it, but choose your route through the Appalachians well. Use a low gear and concentrate more on taking your time and not working it too hard, rather than finding the shortest route. What would I charge? I have no idea. I do it for free for myself all the time. LOL

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I have a 16 Foot dove tail bumper pull trailer. I normally load up with scrap metal, and cars, and various other things. I normally pull 5-7k on it. On the stopping part, my truck still stops pretty good with the trailer and everything loaded with scrap, i don't see a problem stopping (and now that my brakes are fixed) i believe ill be fine.
I was just wondering, ive not got the details on the beams yet, once i get those ill be able to see exactly how much weight there is.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
There is no question you can pull the weight. I'd recomend a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer. (like a backhoe trailer) to handle the weight, and it would have the elect. brakes you are going to NEED! and I mean NEEEED! Up the hill is just slow, down the hill can be a *****! Make sure you can stop it.
As far as rate goes, I had a 00 F350 CC dually delivered from Houston Tx to Sumter SC for $750.00. Other rates I've been quoted lately have been from One to Five dollars a mile loaded.
No amount of money is worth getting hurt over!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what model a TDI is, my book spec's VW's at between 3 and 4K pounds depending on model.

Let me say this - there is NO WAY for you to do this job cheaper than a commercial carrier and still make money.

I've estimated the round trip at approx 1700 miles. That's without knowing the exact location in Georgia. "My" fuel cost for that trip would be $510 at 8.5 mpg.

I personally would probably do the job for around $2,200.

Keep in mind that unless you have DOT numbers, state permits and a logbook you will be running illegal and you should take the risk of fines into account of the price. As well as the inevital risk of breakdowns / repairs.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
ive got brakes on the trailer, they're just not hooked up. How do they work in the first place? Whats the correct way to hook them up??? Will I need a brake controller, and if so how do they work?

Last edited:

oregon-mike

Reaction score
kcw12,
They're probably electric brakes. Yes, you'll need a brake controller in the cab. The best (from all I've read) in the lower budget controllers is the Tekonsha Prodigy. About $100 online. If your truck is pre wired for it all you need is the correct pigtail and you're good to go. If not, you'll need a couple of relays and some beefy (10 ga. or 12 ga.) wire run to the trailer socket on your pickup.

What trailer plug do you have on there now? 7 pin RV style? 6 pin?

The quick & dirty way they work:
Inertia. The controller gets a signal from your brake sending unit that you've applied brake, internal circuitry decides how fast you're slowing down. It increases voltage to the electric brakes proportional to how much brake you're giving. Keeps the trailer brakes from locking up (full voltage) when you're just slowing down (1+ volts).

What plug does the trailer have now? You say the brakes on the trailer aren't hooked up....does that mean you don't have the wire to the plug on the trailer or just that your truck is not set up to use the brakes on the trailer?

Mike

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Yes they are electric brakes. And there is no wiring from the brakes. I got a standard 4 pin connector on the trailer right now. I guess i need to get the brakes to work anyways. So basically what your saying is, You throw in a controller, run wires to the back of the truck, and set up a socket, then run wires back from my trailer brakes. Im not seeing where im gonna need a couple of relays at or anything like that.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I got more information on what i will be hauling, the beams weigh less then 5000 pounds, and the car is only about 3200. So With my truck and trailer ill be towing no more then 5000 pounds. My truck comes over the scales right at 5800-6000 depending on fuel, and my trailer weighs about 2000 pounds empty. so with that alll said im looking to be at 13000 pounds or so. Ive been looking into brake controllers, and they seem pretty simple to hookup

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
What is your trailer rated at? No way its rated enough for the 5K beams plus 3K car if it came with a 4pin connector. I dont even think 4pins run electric brakes.

I costs me $.50 per mile to haul, thats about typical for a pickup. So I charge dollar per mile. I dont have a huge truck payment or anything like that to pay, so it costs me less to operate. Figure if u own the truck completly, and have no operating athorities 50CPM to operate. U have to figure something for your time, your firguring almost an entire work week, worth of time to haul so u need to get something for your time.

And on your list, i would add to adjust your rear brakes, and check Diff. fluid level, or change.

Carry spare fluids, and filters, I carry 2 tires for my truck, and try for 2 for my trailer. Premounted!
I also carry spare parts, Alt.'s, starters, ujoints, and wheel bearings. along with belts and hoses. I go prepared. Downtime is bad! It is extra weight, but the last thing u want to be doing is braking down and having to buy parts u have at home.

Just my 2 cents worth.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
The trailer is rated at 7000. Im dropping off the beams in SC and picking up the car in GA. And no the 4 pin doesnt run electric brakes, it runs the lights that make the trailer legal!!!!!

I just changed the fluid in my rear end not too long ago, and i checked it last week, mise well check it again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin, I don't know about you, but if this were someone coming to me and I was just trying to do them a favor, unless they had just won the lottery and were looking to be generous, I'd walk away. Your looking at two projects. One is, rewiring the trailer to get the brakes to work. You would need a new 7 pin plug. The other project is installing a brake controller on your truck and rewiring it. I can see you putting out $200 and at least 4 hours of labor before you ever turn a wheel.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I know, but i also use the trailer to haul junk with in town, and the trailer brakes would be nice. And all the details aren't worked out quiet yet so i dont know if ill even try it. But you all have a point though.
Either way i need the brakes, if i do this or not.
and it is a lot of miles to do in two days, so im not sure. I have noticed under my bumper there is a 1 pin connector anyone have a clue what that is for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online