Can anybody give advice on my rebuild 7.3 idi

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 7.3 idi and i want to put the hypermax pulse turbo, stage 1 injectors, and a new injector pump, propane, and a dual exhaust going into 5 in tips does this sound like a good combination for this truck or would i have to put head studs and better pistons and rods any info would help thanks.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Do a compression test on the motor and if it's fine, you'll be fine. Studs are better than bolts, but aren't necessary. I'd skip the stage 1's and the engine internals, but everything else should be fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Stage 1 injectors are still up for debate here. Some really hate them and others.. Well there has been plenty of negative talk going on here for some time. Contact Mel (agnem) here. He is trying to make up a set of multi port injectors. I feel they are going to be worth every penny you pay for them and then some.... Keep your boost below 12 lbs and the head gaskets will last. Antthing over 12 lbs boost is just 300 degrees heat going into the motor from the turbo. The intake air gets that hot from the turbo compresser wheel. Remember gas like air gains heat when its compressed. This is when an intercooler is your friend...:D

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IS the hypermax pulse turbo worth it or should i pay the extra for a sidewinder? The hypermax sounds like it is a little better because of the way it uses the exhaust. and what about the moose pump how is it better

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I had a sidewinder on the Enterprise and liked it but when running with the guys from the group that had hypermax and other non wastegated turbos I was quicker to build boost and power but pulling a travel trailer down the road they had much better exhaust gas temps. So you need to ask yourself do you want to have more power off the line or more room at the top?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually anything over 8 lbs without an IC you are going backwards on power gains. I would not by anything banks, especially after Icanfixalls fiasco getting it rebuilt
I have a shop here with a known rebuilt ats 093 complete kit for 1200.00 Easy to mod and get parts for. I have one modded wheel and I can easily make 13 lbs of boost and my egts are never over 1100.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well there you have it from the guy that really knows. If I knew all this back then about 11 years ago I would not have bought a Banks kit. Its great but... Trying to get parts for it cost me 3 months and Russ was helping me along the way. I actually searched across the entire US and found a complete center cartrige in Lake Havasu AZ for $585.00 but that not what I needed. Was good to find it but I only needed the shaft and hot wheel...

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best tip I can give you for your 7.3 rebuild is only use a ford or ih oil pump. An original equip oil pump has the ih logo on the side of it. The reason I say this The outer gear and inner pump gear are both press fit on a shaft. After a while it seems that the shaft and inner gear work loose resulting in lack of oilling. Could happen in a few months or a few years. This flaw affects sealed power, melling , etc.
Just this weekend I saved an overhauled engine in a nice 4x4 from certain death for that exact reason

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's scary. If you're going to rebuild it and want to spend some money, you'll want to get some ARP studs, shave a few thousandths off the pistons and ceramic coat them. A Moose Pump or your own local builder's "hot" pump is your best bet along with a new set of BB injectors. Of course unless the engine is trashed or you already have leaky head gaskets or excessive blowby you just need to bolt the turbo on. And if it were me I would buy used ATS or new Hypermax. Banks may not be there to support their IDI product line forever. You'll probably be able to get parts for ATS/Hypermax easily until/unless the greenies ban these trucks or you lose interest.