7.3 IDI

gator1211

Reaction score
I have an 89 f250 that I am currently rebuilding. Right now my plan is to put all new bearings and seals in, head studs, Justins stage 1 injectors, 110cc injection pump, turbo, turbo pistons, and probably an intercooler in it. Also will be rebuilding the zf-5 transmission. Anything else I should do? Or any tips and tricks from those who are smarter than me?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much research have you done? You didn’t say anything about rods. The wrist pins are different sizes. Why are you rebuilding the ZF5? Should I assume you are going to do the logical things when you take the engine apart? IE oil cooler reseal, water pump, thermostat etc or you just want to talk performance? Have you spoke to Justin? If you are Intercooling it are you using his manifold?

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely water pump, oil cooler, and also prep yourself for any after market gauges you may want to install. Getting to some of the plugs on the block can be a real PIA and them plugs sure like to stay out. Would be a lot easier when the engine is out. Sounds like you’ll have a mean truck when you’re all done!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your build sounds very similar to mine, but I went with the 90cc pump and I'm not running an intercooler. For details on how I did it, check the link in my signature.

Scott

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a turbo like the stage 1 drop in turbo for a 110cc IP
Comp valve springs are also a very good idea
I would if possible get the rotating assembly balanced. It makes for a very smooth engine, but you will have to balance if changing pistons and rods because it throws the balance off so much.

Total seal rings are great for reducing the blowby

I would be putting turbo rods and pistons in for the added strength with a 110cc as well
You will need a 13" clutch as well, which will mean ordering a south bend flywheel and likely clutch.

As someone who has done this before

I would do most of your external upgrades first then tear the motor apart... Then tear into the trans once it's running again
Do it in steps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online