Cab Swap Question

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided that I want an super cab so I'm going to build one since they're hard to find in good shape around here. I've got an OBS SC/LB frame that I'm putting a '81 f150 cab on. The truck will be running a 6.9/t19 setup with a f350 rear axle and springs, so it will be plenty capable of towing. I was planning as titling it as a '81 f150 and just saying that I swapped in a diesel but I thought about it and the truck it's self will exceed the gvwr without a trailer according to the vin. So how can I title this truck and still be able to legally tow with it?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a straightforward way. I'd contact your dmv or possibly the state police. They should be able to tell you.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assembled vehicle is how they do it here in Florida. Have to have all the titles. They check for all of them then give it a new vin and title. Did it with an assembled ranger. Kind of a hassle though.

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked with the dmv and just to get a title would be a hassle, so It looks like finding another cab with title is the best option. :frustrate

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have a frame vin driver side mid point bout door area on top edge of frame...should indicate it as what it is.

That combined with REPLACEMENT cab should provide you two vins you can retitle to current chassis capacity but what do I know I'm not from your area and know nothing about local laws regulations etc.

Good luck

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in most states, vin title goes with the cab. I'd be shocked if anyone would crawl under the truck to check a vin. It's not a numbers matching Aston-Martin or something. I debated this in building my truck. I'm not saying if switch vins or anything but maybe just use the other cab as a REALLY large, complete rust repair panel. ;Sweet

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found another cab with title that I'm going to use, unfortunately it's still just an f150 cab though so I'll be over it's 6,200 gvwr.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt the vin tag just riveted on behind the windshield? Shouldnt be to hard to swap them.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Swapping VIN tags will get you into a lot of hot water.

Best thing to do is contact your DMV and see what the registration deal is.

In CT you can use any cab you want and register it with what the chassis is rated for.

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have a frame vin driver side mid point bout door area on top edge of frame...should indicate it as what it is.

That combined with REPLACEMENT cab should provide you two vins you can retitle to current chassis capacity but what do I know I'm not from your area and know nothing about local laws regulations etc.

Good luck
I checked my frame and it's too rusty to find it.
I think in most states, vin title goes with the cab. I'd be shocked if anyone would crawl under the truck to check a vin. It's not a numbers matching Aston-Martin or something. I debated this in building my truck. I'm not saying if switch vins or anything but maybe just use the other cab as a REALLY large, complete rust repair panel. ;Sweet
That's my plan since the titled cab is a POS with the bricknose dash I want, and the other just has some rocker panel rust.

Postmark

Reaction score
North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota aren't too picky. Title stays with the cab. I've swapped a few without any issues in ND.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i swapped my 88 with a 96 cab but... its the same thing crew cab, dually, diesel just not a powerstroke. i just titled it as the 96