Cab rust worse than I thought...options?

CSAR_IDI

Reaction score
So I've been fixing up a pretty sweet military surplus F350 and after pulling the carpet and interior the rust is really bad. Floor pans, and door jam areas are toast. Couldn't find repair panels for crew cab OBS trucks, just regular and super cab. Should I just forget trying to repair it and just swap the entire cab or what have others done?

You must be registered for see images attach

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The least frustrating way to do this would be find a cab from the south, or Arizona. Fixing rust is just a battle of time fighting metal and welders... Looks like a sweet truck though, being ex military it's either in great shape mechanical or fully neglected lol

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

CSAR_IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yeah, with the rust being so extensive I'm thinking a cab swap is probably the best coarse of action. I love the truck and mechanically it runs great with less than 50,000 miles. It was certainly neglected for years but they did a lot of work to it initially. Has dual t-cases, on board air with selectable air lockers in the axles, hydro assist steering and brakes, custom fender flares, running boards, and traction bars. They built is as a search and rescue truck in Iceland where it was stationed.

CSAR_IDI

Reaction score
That’s a sweet rig, I’ve got clean crew cabs in the $500 range here.

Thanks. Unfortunately you're over 1,000 miles away from Wisconsin or I'd come pick one up! I've never used U-ship, but maybe I could get one shipped??

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately you're over 1,000 miles away from Wisconsin or I'd come pick one up! I've never used U-ship, but maybe I could get one shipped??
Always a good excuse for a road trip!

Jk. For a good cab you'll have to travel well away from Wisconsin, just due to the snow and salt.

I've used uShip and it'***** or miss, you're trusting easentially a non professional do deliver goods, itll either get there fine or not, and if it arrives damages you really can't go after them all that well from what I can tell.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well uship is off my list was gonna ask about that seeing people travel so far for parts rigs n don't think ups or something like that would ship big parts.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CSAR IDI Where are you in WI? Depending on where you are, I could give you the contact info. for a guy that makes the rounds through TX and OK getting truck parts and bringing them back to WI for sale.

CSAR_IDI

Reaction score
CSAR IDI Where are you in WI? Depending on where you are, I could give you the contact info. for a guy that makes the rounds through TX and OK getting truck parts and bringing them back to WI for sale.
I’m near Madison. If you could send me his info that would be great.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy is over by East Troy. I will PM you his info. He doesn't know me personally, but I have bought parts from him.

CSAR_IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if they can source one for me.

Mine is a 1994, what year cabs will work ?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if they can source one for me.

Mine is a 1994, what year cabs will work ?

If you are prepared to switch the interior guts out of your cab, a 1992-1997 crew cab should work. I would imagine the wiring will be somewhat different between the gassers, IDI and Powerstroke, but since you have cab wire harness in your truck for the IDI, you could put that in the rust free cab.

I think the basic sheet metal across the cabs from 1980-1997 is essentially the same, but the swap will be easier if you can source a 1992-1997 cab due to the different wiring, dash mounting locations, etc. Good luck - hope you can find a nice cab and keep the truck going.

Hit Man X

Huffin Diesel Smoke
Reaction score
I have not been on here in a while, but there is an 87 gasser club cab dually here in my fab guy's pal's back yard, I went and looked at it recently. Been stuck in corner for 15 years with wiped cam. The side I saw was super clean. He wanted $500 early May, has to be gone by May 31 as sold the property. It is going to need a serious tow truck to pull the thing out, FYI.

If you want the thing, I can forward you the contact info to help. I would hate to see the vehicle crushed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin