C9 axle code?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
The 85 door tag says C9 axle code. Decoded it's. 3.55 Lsd SerlingSo the rear has Lsd what's the chance the front does to?To check just jack up the front lock hubs and spin if if both spin then it's LSD Sound Right?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 85 door tag says C9 axle code. Decoded it's. 3.55 Lsd SerlingSo the rear has Lsd what's the chance the front does to?To check just jack up the front lock hubs and spin if if both spin then it's LSD Sound Right?
If the front was also limited-slip the axle code would read something like C9L - the 3rd character (usually a letter) is the indicator for front limited slip diff. Very rare option it seems, but they are out there. I've only seen one in person, in a junkyard, and it was a D44 axle, pretty sure of the halfton variety.

Yes you can check the front axle by locking both hubs then lift one wheel and see if it will turn (t-case must be in 2wd or neutral). Or you can lock just one hub, leave truck on the ground, and reach in and try turning the front driveshaft by hand - if it's connected to a limited-slip diff you won't be able to turn it.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your rear axle codes that are just two numbers are open and the codes with a letter followed by a number are always limited slip. Fords factory limited slip is pretty weak imo even in todays built trucks..... Throw it away and put a true trac in it or a auburn gear

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed with above, more than likely not.

The Factory Front LSD was a rare, Bullnose Era (I believe) option. From what I have read, it was an F-150 ONLY option. I do know these existed. We had an 83 F-150 D44 4x4 with Front and Rear LSD's.... There was a learning curve to drive the truck thought. It was out winter vehicle, and on the crowned, snow covered country roads, when you took off from a stop sign, it would slide straight sideways until the passenger side hit the edge of the ditch, grab traction and GO!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then, the F150 D44 does use the same diff housing as the D44HD the IDIs got, right? If so, then a simple 3rd member swap could give an IDI a front LSD... Well so long as gear ratios are the same, if they're not then it's not so simple anymore. But I mean, if one happens to run into a front-LSD F150 in a junkyard, than could be a super-easy way to upgrade their IDI. Cause our engines are stupid-heavy, and as long as the LSD isn't so tight it might as well be a spool the truck won't behave quite like that F150 you had fun with.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
So it's a F-150 D44 only option?
Is it possible to add a locker to the D50? Seems like I saw a kit for it. But for the price of a locker and rebuild for the D50 I could just throw a D60 under it and be done for good.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's a F-150 D44 only option?
Is it possible to add a locker to the D50? Seems like I saw a kit for it. But for the price of a locker and rebuild for the D50 I could just throw a D60 under it and be done for good.

60 all day long...way more options for support axles u joints and traction aids

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726