C5N

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '90 and '93 specification books do not show C5N axle code. C5 = 4.10 limited slip rear, does N indicate limited slip front??

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately VIN decoders do not provide axle information beyond chassis specifications. General consensus is that the 3rd character in axle codes are for front axle specifications, possibly limited slip. In this case, a '91 F250 7.3 4X4 with a C5 = 10.25 4.10 LS rear. But the N remains a mystery despite all of my searching.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check LMC truck. At least, the catalog I received in the mail has a full breakdown in the first few pages.

Edit: just looked, it’s not on there.

Last edited:

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after looking on all the other forums I don’t see an answer. Some thought it was a Dana 80 (only on 450s) some thought it was limited slip front (but it was on a 2WD) and others thought it could be narrow body (thought it was on a wide frame).

So it either is a typo for the tape code in which it would mean yours does not have any striping? Or it could be N for No one will figure this out, and I imagine some disgruntled worker just adding in a small typo to make it tough on everyone.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after looking on all the other forums I don’t see an answer. Some thought it was a Dana 80 (only on 450s) some thought it was limited slip front (but it was on a 2WD) and others thought it could be narrow body (thought it was on a wide frame).

So it either is a typo for the tape code in which it would mean yours does not have any striping? Or it could be N for No one will figure this out, and I imagine some disgruntled worker just adding in a small typo to make it tough on everyone.

LOL. I'm pretty sure it's a "could be N for No one will figure this out, and I imagine some disgruntled worker just adding in a small typo to make it tough on everyone." It's an F250 HD 7.3 4 speed. I'm going to check the Dana 50 and see what possibilities the tag and/or other markings reveal. You would think as odd as this is, someone somewhere in the last 30 years would have some knowledge of the significance, or lack thereof.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. I'm pretty sure it's a "could be N for No one will figure this out, and I imagine some disgruntled worker just adding in a small typo to make it tough on everyone." It's an F250 HD 7.3 4 speed. I'm going to check the Dana 50 and see what possibilities the tag and/or other markings reveal. You would think as odd as this is, someone somewhere in the last 30 years would have some knowledge of the significance, or lack thereof.

Did you ever figure it out?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever figure it out?

I honestly believe you would have to find the guy at that certain factory during that year who was in charge of printing labels or supervising it and ask him if there were typos. Easy to assume a few slackers were employed who if left unsupervised would make mistakes. Increase the mistake factor by the amount they hate their boss, coffee intake, and any other potential problem and maybe ol Gary wasn’t as good at pecking away the numbers on a new fangled keyboard as he claimed to be.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't figured it out yet. I'm fairly persistent, so I'm not giving up yet. I've got an '87 CC 4X4, an '88 CC Dually , 2 '90 F250's(of which 1 is 4X4) and a '93 CC 4X4. Surely with more investigating it can be figured out.