C-6 to zf swap?

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering a trans swap. I was wondering as to wether or not the flywheel from a 7.3 could be used on my 6.9? Other then that it should bolt right up to the motor, correct?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All correct.

You are aware that the 7.3 flywheel is the notorious Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF), right? If you are going to install one, check it out THOROUGHLY and make sure it is in good shape and all within specs....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Hunt around for a good donor. I found a good ZF, single mass flywheel, hardly used LUK clutch/pressure plate and clutch M/C-line-slave piston for $400 before xmas....It's all under my F250 now. I also got a free ZF when I bought a $200 truck....The ZF was in the back. It's good too....If you are patient and hunt around you will find it....Best change I've made to my truck yet.;Sweet

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well................
I scored today! 93 zf 5 speed w/t-case $100. Now i need to find a flywheel,clutch fork, mastercylinder and a pedal assbly.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigRigTech, did you notice a power difference after the auto to manual swap? I've had a 4 speed N/A truck, and this auto doesn't have half of the getup and go. I've been contemplating the 5 speed swap for power, control over the shifting process, and the overdrive. I'm trying to increase drivability without adding a $800-$1000 dollar turbo and the engine prep it would need (new head gaskets, studs, valve train...I'm kind of obsessive about this stuff.)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang! Where did you find that? I need to do the same.

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So......After doing some investigating. I found that the 87's were available with a 6.9 and a zf. So i was thinking about getting a flywheel for that application.
But i don't understand the difference between dual mass and single mass flywheels? Which one do i want?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty tempting. I need to do something to get OD on the Moosestang, and $500 is about what I put into the C6 when I rebuilt it. If I could line up a buyer, I'd do it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Go with a single mass unit, nothing in those to fail and they are cheaper too....I didn't notice a huge power increase but I can control my power band better while towing so I'm happier.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
That's pretty tempting. I need to do something to get OD on the Moosestang, and $500 is about what I put into the C6 when I rebuilt it. If I could line up a buyer, I'd do it.

Well it would have worked, but I just got an email and the 91 I was going to buy was just sold?:puke:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the stock dual mass unit cuts down on gear rollover noise and cost a fortune, the single mass units are cheap with no extra moving parts to fail, but there have been a few folks lately complaining about excessive gear wear after switching to a single mass flywheel , so this may be a case of penny wise pound foolish. Personally, I think the jury is still out on this one. Part of the reason they designed dual mass flywheels ( and you'll find them on a lot of high end vehicles, BMWs included ) is not only for the noise, but for smoother shifts and reduced wear. It leaves an extra point to absorb shock loads on the input side of the tranny without transmitting them directly to the gears full force.

I've thought about a single myself, but so far, my dual is still in decent shape.
I have yet to figure out exactly how the dual mass units actually fail the design looks bullet proof enough. I guess all I need to do is let my wife drive the thing more often...she can break anything :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle