C-6 rebuild gone bad (kind of long)

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three months ago I tore a torque converter bolt off the '86 F-250 and was going ot have to pull the whole thing anyway so I figured I would go for a rebuild. Called all around and the best price I could come up with was $900 to $1400 to R&R depending on what was needed when they got in there. Sadly I was quoted $2000 to $3000 at the dealer for the same job and had to pass. Come to fine out later that the service writer thought I had an E4OD not the C-6. It would have cost me $1100 plus labor for the same job. I know I mentioned C-6 several times. Anyway, as luck would have it it was $1450. On my way home every second or third shift would start out in second from a complete stop then launch into first and carry on as normal. Turned around and broght it back. They told me to drive it for a week and see if it got better. I was going camping the next day so I needed the truck or the trip was off. The week went by and it did inprove but it wasn't perfect. Dropped it off again. After a week and another new torque converter and valve body work it appears to be okay when warm. The next morning I go to put it gear and nothing. It also did this after the long camping weekend also. About 10 to 15 seconds later it slowly comes to life. It holds it's shifts and launches into the next gear until it warms up. Once it is warm is seems to do well except for the accasional second gear start. Well, it is back in the shop again. Another week has gone by and they are hoping for Friday. I doubt it will be ready. They were thinking I may need a different valve body but it seems deeper to me. He also wanted to put a drain back valve in the cooling line to stop the torque converter from draining back.
My concerns are that it never did these things before it was rebuilt. I really don't want any extra valves on the lines to fix a problem that it shouldn't have to begin with. This is a C-6, the most basic of transmissions. Any idea what they could be missing? I have a feeling that they gave it to the new guy because it should be an easy rebuild. Any thoughts or suggestions that I can pass on to help these guys? I looked through the shop manuals and they say to keep checking for valve body leaks associated with bad torque on the mounting bolts. Again, just looking for suggestions.
Thanks, Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Doug,
Too bad. First of all too bad that the Ford service writers didn't LISTEN. They tend to think they already know everything. It cost them a sale, and it cost you, too.
Secondly, too bad you are having problems. Was the shop that did the work an AATRA member. AATRA is a professional group of transmission rebuilders. They may be able to offer some technical assistance, as well as arbitrate the problem. To me, it seems pretty simple--before it died, it operated as it should. The rebuild should likewise operate correctly with no special input ( or valves), or concessions from you. I know its hard to be w/o your truck, but I would refuse to accept it until it was 100% right. I would even push for some additional warranty coverage, as this problem brings the quality of their work into question.
Did you by any chance use Glen Burnie Automatic Transmission? When I was in the business (many years ago) GBAT had the best reputation in the area. I recommended them to a friend, and they did not do as well as I had hoped. Thats the problem with recommending a shop--thats when they do a poor job.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Micheal,
Great to hear from you. The shop I used is Montgomery BCC transmissions on Gude Drive in Rockville, Maryland. They used to be just BCC many years ago and did an incredible job on several of the families vehicles. I did express my concerns of the merge when I called but the owner said that only the BCC people are left. You just never know. I'll give them another call tomorrow and ask about the AATRA membership. I'll still sad about the dealer. Oh well, whenever you deal with poeple you run the risk of dealing with incompetence. Keep smiling and I will keep you posted. Thanks again, Doug

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second gear starts sound like a hanging governor valve, I have built several hundred c6's at work and the gov is very sensitive to dirt, The delay into gear is someone not doing the valve body properly or they overtorque the vb mounting bolts and the pump sucks air, all mistakes I am not to proud to admit I have made, once.
good luck
russ ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online