Bypass the oil cooler, use remote cooler questions?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of using oil as a cooling medium in an engine and applaud IH for engineering a cooler into/onto the IDI engines.:hail

One thing I do not like is the well fact that it can and does have issues with leaking oil into water and visa versa.:puke: I also do not like that most Factory filter locations just plain suck and suck big time for simple routine up keep.

Has anyone though about using Block off plates with fittings for oil lines so you could use a remote oil cooler, along with a remote dual filter setup? Heck you could use something like an Amsoil dual setup that allows for a full flow filter along with a by-pass filter.:rolleyes:

I am just toying with the idea, and being in a HOT climate with moderate winters I wonder about the value of said setup. I do realize that in colder climates the stock cooler actually helps to get the oil up to operating tempurature so I think some form of thermostatic control would be in order, as such I would like to hear from ya'll!:dunno:D

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I think the oil cooler works to do what it's name says - cool the oil because remember you are spraying the bottom of pistions to cool them and take some of that heat away which has be shed somewhere. I could and probably am wrong but the name says to me what it's job in life is... and a liquid to liquid cooler is much more effiecent (sp?) than any air to liquid cooler could ever be.

Now for the stock filter location - I agree with you totally. I ran the AMSOIL bypass setup on my IDI and currently run it on my nanny goat. I love having the ability to swap the oil filters out without having to crawl completely under the truck - I moved them out behind the front bumper on my nanny goat and they were under the drivers door on The Enterprise along with my fuel filter (I relocated that as well - put all of the filters in one spot).