Bye Bye Bio Blend

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of months I've been filling up on B20 at the CFN about a mile from my office. The B20 has been running anywhere from $.03 to $.20 a gallon less than diesel at the other stations in the area. Add about another nickel a gallon worth of savings for the DieselKleen that I DON'T have to add to the B20 and I've been saving up to a quarter per gallon on fuel by buying the B20 at this particular location. Now $.25 a gallon may not sound like much but on a 30 gallon fill up, about 3 times every 2 weeks it adds up to around $575 a year! Not exactly chump change....

Well, today I went and filled up again and right there on the credit-card reader is a sign that says
"We regret to inform all our loyal customers that this location will be closing March 31st. We are attempting to find another location in the local area to relocate our station. Sorry for the inconvenience."

DAMN! My truck runs really great on their B20 and my wallet likes the savings too! From what I've been able to find there isn't another station selling B20 anywhere in my area - without driving 15-20 miles out of my way - which would totally wipe out any savings on fuel costs.

I sure wish I could find someone in the local area who has the space available to set up a bio processor and who would want to partner with me on producing it. I'd foot the bill for the equipment and we could split the cost of supplies and the oil gathering duties.....

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to (are willing to) handle the oil, you can blend in non-hydrogenated canola to cut your fuel costs plus add lube to your ULSD. Also some rubber parts of the fuel system WILL ultimately fail with biodiesel but not with straight vegetable oil. I see no advantage to bio over SVO in an IDI. I sought out an IDI exactly for the reason that the injection system is so forgiving (otherwise I might be driving -- gasp!-- a Duramax or Cummins --double gasp!!).
Jim

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
If you want to (are willing to) handle the oil, you can blend in non-hydrogenated canola to cut your fuel costs plus add lube to your ULSD. Also some rubber parts of the fuel system WILL ultimately fail with biodiesel but not with straight vegetable oil. I see no advantage to bio over SVO in an IDI. I sought out an IDI exactly for the reason that the injection system is so forgiving (otherwise I might be driving -- gasp!-- a Duramax or Cummins --double gasp!!).
Jim

:bs

20% will have insignificant effects on rubber meaning by the time it would actually affect the rubber the rubber would normally need replaced anyway!
However straight vegetable oil will eventually gum up the fuel system. That's why biodiesel is recommended over SVO.

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:bs

20% will have insignificant effects on rubber meaning by the time it would actually affect the rubber the rubber would normally need replaced anyway!
However straight vegetable oil will eventually gum up the fuel system. That's why biodiesel is recommended over SVO.

20 percent will eat it up more than you think. have you ever seen the splash guard on a b-20 pump?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of months I've been filling up on B20 at the CFN about a mile from my office. The B20 has been running anywhere from $.03 to $.20 a gallon less than diesel at the other stations in the area. Add about another nickel a gallon worth of savings for the DieselKleen that I DON'T have to add to the B20 and I've been saving up to a quarter per gallon on fuel by buying the B20 at this particular location. Now $.25 a gallon may not sound like much but on a 30 gallon fill up, about 3 times every 2 weeks it adds up to around $575 a year! Not exactly chump change....

Well, today I went and filled up again and right there on the credit-card reader is a sign that says
"We regret to inform all our loyal customers that this location will be closing March 31st. We are attempting to find another location in the local area to relocate our station. Sorry for the inconvenience."

DAMN! My truck runs really great on their B20 and my wallet likes the savings too! From what I've been able to find there isn't another station selling B20 anywhere in my area - without driving 15-20 miles out of my way - which would totally wipe out any savings on fuel costs.

I sure wish I could find someone in the local area who has the space available to set up a bio processor and who would want to partner with me on producing it. I'd foot the bill for the equipment and we could split the cost of supplies and the oil gathering duties.....

Cheeper Jeeper, I live in the Renton Highlands north of you. Let's talk. I"ve been making biodiesel for over 2 years and have been running B100 homebrew since the weather started getting warmer.

I have a portable processor with storage tank.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're seeing the accumulated affects of B20 over a very long period. I've been running B100 for the past two years off and on and the only things I've had to replace is about a foot of 3/8" fuel line.

I check my lines on a regular basis and the fuel filters as well.

rubberfish

Reaction score
We've got a couple of stations here selling B20.
I see the price, and it's tempting. Then I see
posts like this. Where we can't decide whether
it's OK to use B20 or not. So, when it's official,
and we can run B20, will someone let me know?
I'd like to start saving money on fuel. :thumbsup:

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got a couple of stations here selling B20.
I see the price, and it's tempting. Then I see
posts like this. Where we can't decide whether
it's OK to use B20 or not. So, when it's official,
and we can run B20, will someone let me know?
I'd like to start saving money on fuel. :thumbsup:

its official, you can start using B-20.

Why is everyone so afraid of it? Thousand of people have racked up millions of miles using Biodiesel:confused:

SKimballC

Reaction score
Seriously, Bob, use it. Its a good thing.
When I had access to it I ran only B99 in my truck for about 3 months with zero problemo. I was running B50 for a couple weeks in Colorado with temps in the teens with no worries either. Too bad biodiesel's not available in this back assward part of west Tennessee.

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
There are lots of fleet trucks here running B20.
But if **** goes wrong, they have a much
bigger "tax right off" available in order to get it fixed.
Fuel is sold by the liter here and I guessing about
4 to a US gallon. So about $0.14 a gallon savings. :D
One day I'll try it.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Honstly, aside from gelling problems in cold conditions, all that can go wrong with properly made biodiesel is it might start eating away some old rubber and it supposedly will clean any crap out of your fuel tank so it may clog a filter or two after you first start using it. That was part of the local capitalist hippy's speech at least. I heard that dude's spiel so many times I could probably recite it backwards in pig latin.

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheeper Jeeper, I live in the Renton Highlands north of you. Let's talk. I"ve been making biodiesel for over 2 years and have been running B100 homebrew since the weather started getting warmer.

I have a portable processor with storage tank.
Sent you a PM. Looking forward to talking to you...