Bye Bye Bio Blend

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
bio is a good thing not only is it lubing your pumps and savin some money it also is supporting our farmers this is a good thing i just wish the would sell it here in nw az or even better at the petro fuel islands [only cause i work there] some have gone to it but out here in my part of the world they are about 5yrs behind times use it you will enjoy it [Build It And They Wll Come]

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bio is a good thing not only is it lubing your pumps and savin some money it also is supporting our farmers this is a good thing........use it you will enjoy it [Build It And They Wll Come]
Oh yeah! I like the savings, and my truck just LOVES the stuff. I haven't had a chance to try B100 yet, but with B20 in it my truck runs better, idles smoother, smokes less, and even seems to get a tick or two better mileage.

Besides, anything that supports the farmer - and DOESN'T support the robber baron oil companies or their middle-eastern buddies has GOT to be a good thing in my book. I'm totally sold on the stuff.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything that was said about biodiesel-- I am all for it. I am only pointing out that if you want to MAKE it which is a whole different game, WVO blending is a an atractive alterative. And the biodiesel WILL kill rubber, some of it internal to pumps, and resistance depends on year of truck. Go for it!
Jim

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making bioidiesel is easy, I can make 100 gallons of biodiesel a week given time.

One 20 gallon batch of biodiesel takes me about 24 hours, 90% of that time is waiting for the glycerin to settle out.

WVO on the other hand, requires modification to your truck/car, can be detrimental to injectors and if you forget to purge your system of WVO before shutting off the engine, forget about trying to start it again until you can get the lines heated up.

rubberfish

Reaction score
if it ruins your IP, your Ip was due for a fixn' anyhow...
I'm thinking it's still got some life in it.
Since it's not even two years old
since a complete overhaul. Top to bottom. :D

The way I see it, if it takes out rubber fuel hose,
it'll take out all the rubber in the fuel system.
Just like when some bonehead puts oil in the
brake master cylinder. One ends up replacing
everything. Front to back. No thanks. I'm out.
For now anyways. I'll just sit here and watch. :)

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Besides said:
I'm with ya' on that (I'm a farmer myself, so maybe I'm slightly biased). No Bio stations around here though.
I'm with rubberfish as well. I'm gonna try to milk out as much use from my truck as I can before fixing it. You'd be suprised how long you can run on weak links. :rotflmao

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
No thanks. I'm out.
For now anyways. I'll just sit here and watch. :)

You better get use to it because once more of the bio plants get up and running will be manditory here in the US.

What makes the difference the new 2007 fuel is going to ruin the pumps anyways from lack of lube bio diesel keeps the pump lubed better. The diesel shops around here will all tell you they've seen an increase in pump repair sionce the new fuel went into effect.

Been running a blended off road in our off road take for over 3 years and no problems, been running B20 blend or B100 for 2 years in my truck no problems the only problem is some of these people have junk to start with and it breaks after they change so they blame it fo there problems. I didn't and don't blame bio for the return line starting to leak on the 6.9 they wasn't soft and mushy from the bio eating them they was hard as a rock.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright...biodiesel eats natural and butyl rubber. It will not harm viton, neoprene, and fuel injection rated hose from all reports. Whats on the inside of a Dodge injector pump? Its a bit different from a DB2. I have been running B100 most of teh time for about 3 years and well over 20K miles. I do have leaky fuel return lines....I've had to replace a lot of filters becuase I have made some bad fuel and gotten the tanks contaminated with red-brown algae. I run an inline fuel filter and an electric fuel pump so I wind up replacing these pretty often...much more than the stock filter. I think its the tanks more than the biodiesel because I have had this problem even on the rare occasions where I've run standard D2 since my tanks got gunked. Also...the new ULSD lubricates OK...its the fact that it has a lower amount of aromatic hydrocarbons than the older 500ppm D2 that causes failures. The rubber orings get used to a certain level of aromatics, swell to that point...and when lower aromatic fuel is used the orings shrink and allow leaks, at least that is my understanding. One fuel injkection shop guy told me my pump is leaking out the weephole, but I have so many return leaks and so much gunk in the valley pan I don't know how he can be sure. If it is junked it has taken a long time, I've burnt some pretty gunky batches of fuel...bio, D2 and mixtures, even some WVO, and I believe any failure is likely either do to poor pump construction at the rebuilder, fuel starvation from weak e-pumps before I got the Holley Red, or running the pump without an H2O sep.(I know better). I don't want to dissuade anyone from using it...its good stuff, cheap and clean. Its messy to make...but not hard, and not time consuming. If you are careful not dangerous either, and even safer ifyou have a sealed processor. I will know more about my fuel system after I get my injectors pop tested, time the truck with tools, and fix my leaks. Sorry for the long post.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: that should be 2 full years that I have been running mostly B100!, I thought 20K miles in 3 years was low

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins has approved blends up to B20, that is a long way from running B100. But still Cummins is among a very few that approves a blend that high.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys...I'm running an 86, the pump is a rebuild from back in 2004, I have about 28K miles on it, its been run on all types of fuel D2, biodiesel/D2 blends, even some ULSD. I am looking at refreshing the fuel system before I add a turbo, so I will keep you posted on what the injectors test like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online