Buying the correct vacuum pump 7.3 idi

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Since the autoparts store had many to choose from and non in stock I wanted to make sure I was buying the correct pump

Has anyone tried the dorman Part Number: 904-807 and does it fit.

I have a 93 ford f250 with a 7.3 idi originally a non turbo but I have the banks system installed now. If this isn't one that will fit what would you recommend?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like the right one. You will need to swap your pulley over. Seems like you need to fill it with oil too, but I am not sure on that. Someone will chime in shortly with that info.

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw this one listed at my local autoparts store and found it on summit racing for a lot cheaper. Thanks! I knew I had to change out the pulley but I did not know I had to fill it with oil. If anyone can chime in on that area it would be much appreciated.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one. I saw the one at Summit and rather than drive the 12 miles to it, I had the local Autozone price match as they carried the same pump. When I did mine, I was told to get the power steering pump pulley puller and it didn't fit mine. The tips of the puller arms wouldn't fit under the lip on the hub so if you have to get a puller, try and take your pump down to to verify the puller will work before you leave the store. I hope you don't have to put any oil in it. I didn't hear about that nor were there any instructions saying to do so. Hope I didn't mess mine up. lol

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you search for parts at Summit, be sure to enter the 7.3/445 then the "International" series as the engine family. The other option is the 7.3/444 which is for the PS. fyi

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They already have oil in them. Check rockauto for price if you dont mond waiting for shipping. You may be able to find a 5% discount code if you google it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The correct puller has no "arms".

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
A-1 CARDONE Part # 641007 {#F3TZ2A451A} Reman.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

$68.79$5.00$73.79
DORMAN Part # 904807 {#F3TZ2A451A}
You must be registered for see images attach

$80.99$0.00$80.99
CARDONE SELECT Part # 901007 {#F3TZ2A451A} New CARDONE Select Vacuum Pump

$92.79$0.00$92.79
DELPHI Part # POD9897 Vacuum Pump Pod (Only 4 Remaining)

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$92.79$0.00$92.79
DELPHI Part # NLVP9897 Diesel Vacuum Pump (Only 3 Remaining)

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$142.79$0.00$142.79
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 7V1009 {#F3TZ2A451A}

$218.99$0.00$218.99
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # VCP105 {#F3TZ2A451A} Direct OE Replacement;Number of Ports: 1;Number of Hose Connectors: 1; Hose Size - mm: 8 mm; Hose Size - Inches: 5/16"; Contents: Mounting Bracket

$225.79$0.00$225.79

Why is there such a big price range on the different brand vacuum pumps? The standard and airtex are over $200. Are they any better than the cheap ones? Also does anyone have a part number for the pulley. Mine is serpentine belt, smooth no grooves. I think mine is getting week this will be the next thing I do.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that the Serp belt pulley is a larger shaft than the Groove belt pulley. Be carefull on which Vac pump you get.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just in case none of you know this. Our vacuum pumps work the same no matter what direction they are spinning. When I rebuilt my engine and changed to serpentine I drove the vacuum pump the wrong direction. I ran the belt over the top of the pulley instead of under it. I drove over 5 thousands miles that way and all the way to the 2009 rally. Travis was looking at my engine and asked how the vacuum was. I answered fine. Why do you ask. He then pointed to the belt not actually touching the pulley and told me it was on the wrong side of the pulley. So I had to look at other serpentine setups to verify this.. Sure nuff I made a mistake. Along my trip my cruise control would drop out. I'm guessing it was a vacuum issue now. Sure glad I had hydroboost brakes. The pumps suck no matter what direction they run but don't run the belt over the to of the pulley especially if you vacuum assist brakes. Could be a ruff stop with no power brakes...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I understand that the Serp belt pulley is a larger shaft than the Groove belt pulley. Be carefull on which Vac pump you get.

You could be right, but I've swapped one before from the 88 f250 v belt I had, to my brother 93 f350 serpentine setup.
He actually swapped the pulleys.
Main difference was how it bolts on.
Serpentine has the bolts through the front and the mounting bracket is threaded, the v belt bolts from the back and the vacuum pump bracket is threaded.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk