Buying a 1989 7.3 idi

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, yeah the guy didn't seem like he'd budge on the price and I asked for more pictures of it before driving an hour and a half but he wouldn't send any. I found another one 86 6.9 for about the same price. Four speed with a wood bed looks clean from a little local dealer says it has 40k miles which I find hard to believe but it looks the the transfer case has a leak and one tires bald. Have you guys just been searching through craigslist until you find a good deal they seem impossible to find especially in my area.

Another strategy; buy a cheap non-runner (Blown motor/trans) and plan on rebuilding (or buying remaned) everything. Fact is these trucks are getting very old, you will likely have to rebuild most runners soon anyway. It's very easy to end up with a spit shined ****, like the one in that add.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found mine on Craig's.l local used car dealer had him posted for sale.was asking $3999. I threw $3100 on the table and they took it

TorchMadness

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is mine after purchase. Yea buddy be patient I bought mine with 220k miles for 1600 dollars! You will find your truck eventually took me half a year of searching and ended up drive almost three hours to check mine out. Greatest thing about getting a cheap truck is you can afford some upgrades haha. I just converted from a 3 speed auto to a ZF5. And don't feel bad at all about it.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you handy with a wrench, and have the place and patience to build what you want, $6k for an ex-plow truck is too much.
I just paid $700 for this. needs a motor. I have one ready to go in.

Attachments

• napa1.jpg
    napa1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 17
  • napa2.jpg
    napa2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 17
  • napa3.jpg
    napa3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 14

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Around here legitimately good deals on cars rarely stay up for long so if one has been up for a few weeks there is usually a good reason. Like others here I was looking for a year or so before I found the one for me. I may have overpaid ($3000 including a lightly used plow) but on the plus side it had new tires and no major mechanical issues so I was able to start using it right away. Best advice I can give is look at and drive as many as possible so you'll know what's normal and what isn't and bring cash so you're ready to go when you find the right one.