Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It's a matter of lack of coverage. As in, there is no signal that my SIM is allowed to connect to. Visible is owned and run by Verizon but it's more like old Sprint coverage areas of 15 years ago. They use Verizon towers and have zero roaming. And not all Verizon towers have Visible service being broadcast, so I have been told by Visible support.

Ok that makes much more sense now, when you wrote "cell service" I did not understand it was actually Visible cell service. It sounded like you meant there was no cellular service in those areas. What a bummer they block you from being able to roam so you can get better coverage. I guess it’s that old adage you get what you pay for. (Upside is they do have low prices.)

I have been with Verizon for 30 years and pay more than most. But their coverage is hard to beat. I feel they must have the most extensive roaming contract base. Heck I even get coverage at my cousins cabin out in the middle of Federal park south of Flagstaff and at my buddies cabin way off the grid by Seligman, AZ. (Think route 66)

So hopefully the SIMM card from Walmart will tide you over till you move down the road.

I would worry on a big trip like yours if I break down, had an accident, or had a medical emergency I might not be able to make a call.

Now to bring this back to Oilburners.net.

The older gentleman I bought my IDI from bought it in 1988 to pull his 5th wheel travel trailer. His idea of being connected was probably a CB radio, pager, quarters for the pay phones, a road Atlas, travelers checks, AAA guide to RV parks, and his analog TV.

Now in the 21st Century you have the luxury of digital TV, cell service, cellular WIFI, text messaging, video conferencing, GPS, ATM card for 7x24 banking, Venmo, Zelle, online banking to pay those bills or deposit checks or move money, music and video streaming, online RV park reservations, and the internet!

We have come a long way to making travel easier and more enjoyable in time since Ford built my 88 F250 IDI.

Safe travels Cubey and keep those pics coming.

4drocket

Reaction score
i just read this whole thread! thanks for documenting so much and so well. as been said i am totally jealous. if you dont mind me asking how is it that your able to do this fulltime?

i have ridden most of those roads in the past but gonna be switching over to trailering pretty soon. my wifes idea as i still like riding 100% but she points out staying in the trailer will be cheaper which i am not sold on as you have pointed out we only get about 8-10mpg too. but wed like to collect the old crap we find in the prairie so half of one...

i have had the same issue with over heating when using a/c on steep grades even though im in a 7.3 idi with upgrades. i think the toyhauler is close to 10k lbs when loaded. i had lots of over heating issues and finally got an oem radiator in but still with the a/c on, high ambient temp and going up a grade = bad news.

are you going to stay on 191? its a great road i have taken it from southern AZ which i think is where u started. i used to live in el centro and saw that you winter in yuma at times. if you get a chance take hwy 12 west from lolo mt its a beautiful road. its called lewis and clark hwy. not sure about free camp sites but as i saw you wrote that they have quite a bit in ID.

i thought only type F was to be used in C6?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Correct, I believe up to 1976 it was Type F and 1977 and up it was Dexron.

I beleive it is also recommended if you rebuild your pre 1977 C6 to move to Dexron as well. That replacement parts are the updgraded clutch materials and bushing materials. But ask your rebuilder to confirm.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Correct, I believe up to 1976 it was Type F and 1977 and up it was Dexron.

I beleive it is also recommended if you rebuild your pre 1977 C6 to move to Dexron as well. That replacement parts are the updgraded clutch materials and bushing materials. But ask your rebuilder to confirm.

I have read where some people put a bit of F in with Dex in to "firm up" shifts. Dunno if that's a good idea or not though.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
i just read this whole thread! thanks for documenting so much and so well. as been said i am totally jealous. if you dont mind me asking how is it that your able to do this fulltime?

i have ridden most of those roads in the past but gonna be switching over to trailering pretty soon. my wifes idea as i still like riding 100% but she points out staying in the trailer will be cheaper which i am not sold on as you have pointed out we only get about 8-10mpg too. but wed like to collect the old crap we find in the prairie so half of one...

i have had the same issue with over heating when using a/c on steep grades even though im in a 7.3 idi with upgrades. i think the toyhauler is close to 10k lbs when loaded. i had lots of over heating issues and finally got an oem radiator in but still with the a/c on, high ambient temp and going up a grade = bad news.

are you going to stay on 191? its a great road i have taken it from southern AZ which i think is where u started. i used to live in el centro and saw that you winter in yuma at times. if you get a chance take hwy 12 west from lolo mt its a beautiful road. its called lewis and clark hwy. not sure about free camp sites but as i saw you wrote that they have quite a bit in ID.

i thought only type F was to be used in C6?

I'm over by I-15 again now in SE Idaho now, so no to 191.

The GVWR on this is 11k or something like that. RVing can be cheap if you live very misery. I rarely pay for camping, use free dump stations as much as I can, run a 12v compressor fridge instead of the $30/mo propane cost RV fridge. This month is more expensive than last since I drove so much and had to run the big generator for A/C due to the 20 degree above normal heat out west here.

I try to stay places 2 weeks if possible, but this place I'm at now I might leave after a week. These are the forecasted temps for next week:

You must be registered for see images attach

Just 150 miles north (at least 1300ft higher elevation) it'll be...

Quite a big difference. But then again for $100 in gasoline I could stay here and be reasonably cool with the A/C running from about 1-9pm every day... and not worry about if I'm gonna have cell reception at the next place. I have $150 left for the rest of the month, but I already stocked up on groceries for the rest of the month, and have about $38 worth of gasoline for the generator on hand already, and still have one full tank of diesel so I might just use the money for gas in the big gen and try not to stress about it.

RV parks will eat you alive in cost. Many are $40+ per night anymore. Sometimes you can find them for $20-30 but if you do that every night, you'll go broke fast. Gov campgrounds are usually $20+. I use free BLM/NFS type of public lands for dispersed camping.

I just ran the EF600 generator today (about 1/8 gallon per hour, 4.5 hours per 0.53 gallon [2 liter] fuel tank) for about 5 hours for fans/ventilation, laptop, and extra battery charging. It got up to about 92-93 inside (88-90 out) and it wasn't too bad so long as I had the fan on me. One fan is on my dog and one is on me. It's not humid so it's not too bad. But 100 is is gonna be too much without AC. At least I have some time to decide. Tomorrow is gonna be a preview of it with a high of around 95, so that will tell me if I want to stay through a 94-101 week or not.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is self-adhering sound deadening material. Lots of builds have used it in the last couple years, I've only seen pictures.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For cell service, I use tracfone. No contract. Roaming anywhere. I have service anywhere anybody else has service, and sometimes, where no one else has service, strangely.

Internet, you could try starlink. I believe all you'd have to do is turn it on, and let it locate a new satellite every time you park somewhere for a while. Everyone I know of, is extremely happy with them.

I have $150 left for the rest of the month, but I already stocked up on groceries for the rest of the month, and have about $38 worth of gasoline for the generator on hand already, and still have one full tank of diesel so I might just use the money for gas in the big gen and try not to stress about it.

Dude. I live exactly the same way. Only I am not mobile. I own a piece of property in the forest, and I have built my own tiny home. My month, every month, looks just like you describe it here.

Not enough budget to pay for ALL the necessities.Always have to decide what is most important.

I make it through, just fine. No complaints. I chose to do what I am doing, precisely because it is the only way that I could survive on the budget I have.

Just wanted you to know that someone else here, understands.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Satellite internet companies don't really like to cater to RVers. The one I see that does, the equipment is $7,000 and the service is stupidly slow for the cost.

Others usually want the dish to be stationary.

Starlink costs about $600 (equipment, shipping and tax) up front plus $100/mo so it's far less but still have to set up a dish every time I move and hope no one steals it.

Plus they say this about the "service" address I'd have to use:

"Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

Yes, they are claiming there is no *satellite* coverage. That's not how that should work. But they want you to pay for it now and wait for them to maybe ship it later. EM is such a scumbag.

But anyway, cell is still the best option cost and availability wise.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just ordered this for the $55, 100GB hotspot plan that AT&T/Cricket is offering. It's a $260 new priced high end hotspot device so maybe it should do better than the $80 one that Cricket sells. Yeah it's used but Amazon will take it back if it's bad. It's listed as "good" condition so we will see. I've bought "very good" condition items and they were just open boxed, looked at, and never used. It won't be there at the Locker for pickup until next Wednesday so I'll just stay here and put up with the 100 degree heat. I'll pay for the hotspot out of next month's budget. It's a prepaid plan so I can let it cancel it if I stay somewhere long term (many months) that has good Visible service.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Help talk me out of this (maybe).

I keep getting it in my mind to maybe sell the F250 and get a classic aircooled VW Beetle/Super Beetle to pull behind the motorhome instead of the cargo trailer. They have always been my favorite car ever even when I was a little kid, and I once bought one without an engine when I had a house 10 years ago but I ended up going on the road in the Dodge Class B and got rid of the house, VW, and other stuff so I never got to do more than sit in it. But OMG I loved the feeling. So... yeah, I really do want to get one. Not the worst use of money though, it would let me sight see when parked/camped for 2 weeks like I often do. I can load my dog in the car and go, unlike on the 49cc scooter. I'd keep the trailer and scooter though, costs nothing to store like I have the F250 stored right now. Those old VWs are easy to work on, can be flat towed, and are just so appealing to me all around.

I would get one with the unpopular "auto stick" transmission since I hate clutches. It's a clutchless 2 speed manual basically. They can be touchy to keep working right but it's a matter of learning how to adjust things. The transmissions are cheap because people often convert to M/T. Heck, I'd consider doing the opposite... convert a 4 speed to autostick. It could always be put back to a 4 speed later. There are a few different engine parts for autostick setups like the distributor but they can't hard to get.

It wouldn't be anytime soon since I am west out west/NW away from the F250, but yeah it's something I have been considering lately.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although I remember seeing one parked on the street in my hometown when I was in high school, I haven't actually looked at anything that has to do with the automatic stickshift transmission. I'd say to be absolutely certain that it can be flat towed. Other than that, it's your money to do what you want to with.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Although I remember seeing one parked on the street in my hometown when I was in high school, I haven't actually looked at anything that has to do with the automatic stickshift transmission. I'd say to be absolutely certain that it can be flat towed. Other than that, it's your money to do what you want to with.

Safely flat towing autosticks is kind of up for debate. Some people say it's fine, others say "NO!" and quote the following about 30mph max for 30 miles max.

But.. the manuals of the day called it an "automatic stickshift" just like badge shown in the previous post, so I suspect the above page was talking about actual automatic transmissions, not the autostick. It makes no mention about towing limitations, at least on this page:

Oh and it's 3 speed actually, but mostly you never need "low" gear except for hills or towing/heavy loads. You basically use "1" only for all stop and go city driving. "2" is more for highway driving. So really, you start out in actual 2nd gear most of the time, since it has a lower gear than "1".

Automatics were around in the 70s at the same time on some models. Here is a 1973 ad boasting about a "fully automatic" transmission. It seems they went to water cooled in the "buses" in 1973, which is why it got a true auto trans "finally". True ATs don't exist for air cooled.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Furthermore, this is from a 1972 VW Beetle manual where it has info about autostick all through it. It makes no mention about how you can't flat tow an autostick. The only thing is it would need a proper tow bar setup installed to be towed long distances.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on make sure you can flat tow an auto stick. Also not sure many know how to repair them. So I would go with a manual.

Also look for a carbureted bug, the fuel injection parts are getting harder to find. Often a fuel injection leak ends up with your bug on fire.

Before you buy one, look at parts costs. Bugs used to be cheap but now the prices have gone way up. Engines are now $500 for a core and $1000 for a used runner. Folks are asking a lot for running bugs now.

Now Covairs are still dirt cheap.