Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Cubey,

It’s all about maintenance and some common sense.

Having the right mixture of radiator fluid and water that raises the boiling point.

Having a good radiator cap that raises the boiling point.

Watching the temp on your gauges so you don’t boil over and know it’s time to stop.

Keeping your belts, hoses, and cooling system in good shape.

Being smart enough to pull over, run the heater, leave the engine on, and opening the hood. VS run to long, turn off the engine, raise the temp and boil over.

Since you did not boil over I doubt you hurt the engine. 240 is not ideal but it is often cooling system over pressure, steam pressure, or getting up around +255 where heads can start to warp that cause a head gasket issue. Especially if it is already on the way out.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Something to try next time you are in town. Hit a Home Depot or hardware store. Buy a 2 gallon bug sprayer and fill with water. When you run hot leave it running and spray through the grill at the evaporator and radiator. Set it for spray not stream and watch your radiator temp start dropping. (If not cooling well set to stream and try again. I found mist was fine.) It will cool the radiator and now that little bit of steam/humidity blowing through the engine compartment will help draw off heat and cool everything in it too.
An old hot rodder's trick was to rig up the windshield washer squirters so that they would spray on the radiator. Just keep it full with water, not washer fluid. You could also get a universal type of washer reservoir and set that up instead so you can still use your factory set up for your windshield.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
An old hot rodder's trick was to rig up the windshield washer squirters so that they would spray on the radiator. Just keep it full with water, not washer fluid. You could also get a universal type of washer reservoir and set that up instead so you can still use your factory set up for your windshield.

Not really any room for an extra bottle in a van engine compartment. If anything, I would rig up something to the fresh water tank since that already exists in this RV.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not really any room for an extra bottle in a van engine compartment. If anything, I would rig up something to the fresh water tank since that already exists in this RV.
That or I was thinking about maybe mounting it in front of the radiator support behind the grille if there's room.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect!

Two windshield washer nodules, fed by a windshield washer pump, fed by the fresh water tank.

You can get the parts for that at a junkyard. Buy new hose if you want, but you could probably piece enough together from the junkyard.

Two "corner brackets" https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-x-30m...Brackets-Corner-Braces-Support-2pcs/676675400

You must be registered for see images attach

Could be mounted. Swiveled. Bent. Into whatever angle you need, on just about any piece of metal in front of the radiator.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Best idea yet, go to a recking yard and buy some of those fancy MBZ headlamp squirt washers (Just like windshield washers.) and install in your bumper and direct a couple at the tranny cooler and a couple at the radiator! Problem solved, send it! Colorado here I come, yet cool as a cucumber!

No room under the hood, no problem! Don’t even get me started on the party hat with two beer cans and drinking hoses, add a 12v pump, a valve............

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Perfect!

Two windshield washer nodules, fed by a windshield washer pump, fed by the fresh water tank.

You can get the parts for that at a junkyard. Buy new hose if you want, but you could probably piece enough together from the junkyard.

Two "corner brackets" https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-x-30m...Brackets-Corner-Braces-Support-2pcs/676675400

Could be mounted. Swiveled. Bent. Into whatever angle you need, on just about any piece of metal in front of the radiator.

I like how you think Selahdoor! I see a RV and trailer repair business in your future!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Best idea yet, go to a recking yard and buy some of those fancy MBZ headlamp squirt washers (Just like windshield washers.) and install in your bumper and direct a couple at the tranny cooler and a couple at the radiator! Problem solved, send it! Colorado here I come, yet cool as a cucumber!

It seems these exist too. They would need a pump still though.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems these exist too. They would need a pump still though.

That's what I was talking about. Drill the hole out to the right size on those brackets I showed. Put one of these in each bracket. Screw the bracket to any piece of metal in front of your rad. Bend or spin it in any way you need to, to aim them. All that's left is the plumbing.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's what I was talking about. Drill the hole out to the right size on those brackets I showed. Put one of these in each bracket. Screw the bracket to any piece of metal in front of your rad. Bend or spin it in any way you need to, to aim them. All that's left is the plumbing.

Yeah, I didn't know universal ones like that were out there though. Plumbing is the hard part due to lack of room for an extra tank/pump. Dunno what pump I could use other than a regular RV pump. I'd rather not split it off the main fresh water system since it would be a big weak point for leaks/failure where the pump is powered full time and turns off/on based on line pressure.

I'd probably have to use the factory washer bottle/pump. I can't say I even use it much as is. I have a folding squeegee, water, glass cleaner, and paper towels on hand for washing it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
All joking aside, your Motorhome has some heating issues, this might be your least expensive way to keep it cool. Cheaper than a bigger radiator and electric fans. It should also help to improve your a/c cooling and prevent the need to turn it off for short stints. It’s not for everyone but some cheap insurance you don’t overheat as easy. It even works better when the vehicle is moving and the water pump is moving that cooler water from radiator to the engine even faster. You might just start with a $15 bug sprayer as your proof of concept.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
All joking aside, your Motorhome has some heating issues, this might be your least expensive way to keep it cool. Cheaper than a bigger radiator and electric fans. It should also help to improve your a/c cooling and prevent the need to turn it off for short stints. It’s not for everyone but some cheap insurance you don’t overheat as easy. It even works better when the vehicle is moving and the water pump is moving that cooler water from radiator to the engine even faster. You might just start with a $15 bug sprayer as your proof of concept.

Another thing to remember, the van version of ATS 085 has no cold air intake. The lid won't fit so they put a metal retaining ring that holds down the filter. If I go spraying water through the radiator, some may end up in the engine. And heat from the radiator makes it's way into the intake too in general.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Agree that would be a concern to get a stream of water going down the intake. This may not be something you feel comfortable doing. But could help you roadside if you had the bug sprayer and you choose where to spray.

I suggest a mist VS stream. I find the droplets do not even get past the radiator it generally is going to hit the radiator fins and evaporate instantly, it is that action that robs the heat off the radiator. (Tranny cooler and evaporator too.) Then the humid air pulls more heat out of the engine compartment.

What do you do in a heavy rain?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Agree that would be a concern to get a stream of water going down the intake. This may not be something you feel comfortable doing. But could help you roadside if you had the bug sprayer and you choose where to spray.

I suggest a mist VS stream. I find the droplets do not even get past the radiator it generally is going to hit the radiator fins and evaporate instantly, it is that action that robs the heat off the radiator. (Tranny cooler and evaporator too.) Then the humid air pulls more heat out of the engine compartment.

What do you do in a heavy rain?

True enough about rain. I try to avoid driving in bad weather though.

I might just try a regular hand pump spray bottle (similar to what Windex comes in) since they cost all of $1-2 and usually have a mist function. It's probably not even something I'm going to need much, so I don't see much point in spending a lot on a dedicated misting system. If I lived in the desert year round, I could see the need. It's supposed to be into the low 90s next week here, if I don't just leave a couple days before then. But I'll be parked here not moving so it's not like the heat is a problem. When I do leave, it'll be late morning so it won't be that hot yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk