Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's more common with IP's that have been sitting idle/unused. Have had it happen to me and my IP's didn't last long afterward.

Heath

It seems to only do it if its at idle, i quickly give it a moderate amount of throttling then immediately let go. It only stalled once today, pulling up to a toll booth. Higher idle would help. It doesn't even start to roll without brakes applied. It restates perfectly and idles fine, in any case.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Have you put her on a scale yet? I wonder how close to the GVWR you are.

No.

It's missing the black water tank unfortunately. The rear is more rotten than I thought, but someone did a good job replacing the bathroom floor. It looks like someone stepped through the bathroom floor and they probably broke the tank, hence why it's gone. The grey water is still there, at least. That matters more to me right now. I have a camp toilet i can continue to use. The toilet is currently usable if I have full hookups, it just goes straight to a pull valve and the sewer hose connector. I might eventually replace the black water tank.

But that's a little less weight, without one.

The fuel tank selector valve seems to work but unless Im leaving a state with cheap fuel and entering one with expensive, I don't see the point really. I usually want a break after 100-120 miles. That's less weight there too.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to only do it if its at idle, i quickly give it a moderate amount of throttling then immediately let go. It only stalled once today, pulling up to a toll booth. Higher idle would help. It doesn't even start to roll without brakes applied. It restates perfectly and idles fine, in any case.
my 88 did the stalling deleo filled the filter with atf started it for 10 seconds then let it sit over night it worked wonders!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
my 88 did the stalling deleo filled the filter with atf started it for 10 seconds then let it sit over night it worked wonders!

Others have suggested it, I just haven't had the chance to try it yet. I wasn't going to buy another strap wrench or oil filter wrench when I have both, I just didn't have them with me. But now I'm back with my tools, so I will do this, probably on Sunday.

I just need to exchange the high mileage trans fluid I got for something else. I wonder if it matters much though what kind. Type F? Mercon?

I bought a new Motorctaft fuel filter this morning, so I'm all set there.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Picture time!

Rear fuel tank and axle. ~30 gallon?
You must be registered for see images attach

Front tank:

Gasoline tank for the generator:

So it's a C6 after all:

The generator needs some attention. I found partly bare wires in the bathroom from it, I think. Plus it's own little wires are unplugged from something on the right side, not to mention the disconnected fuel line.

The damn thing is more rotten than I thought. I used a roll of clear flex tape to try to repair the worst spot. It's supposed to have a piece of aluminum trim screwed down to seal the seam but its long gone. I should have left when I saw the bulging sides, but i didn't realize that meant "rot". I thought it was just dented. Turns out the side panels are fiberglass too, not aluminum. I might buy a second roll and put another layer to make it tougher. Unless I go into the wall from the shower and replace some wood, so screws have some to bite into. I might next year. Heh.

I was gonna post more pics but 5 is the limit.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I decided not to swap the vacuum pump from the truck. I don't want to cripple it like that. I grabbed this, pretty darn good price. Its a new one, not refurbished. It's cheaper than refurbished anywhere online.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might think about cutting your losses...
Any rv today over 10 yrs old is toast, I will give you some perspective, all rv'$ are built on this credo....
It needs to look good till sold!
It has to last thru the warranty period.

Let that sink in...

Back in the dawn of the 90's when I got my general contractor 's license, I filled a niche market doing modular homes and mobile homes, and park trailers for a living.

So I have cut several up for scrap to do replacement dwellings, and torn roofs off of travel trailers and as many motor homes.
Here is what I learned.
1 roof leak for 1 day equals no problems for the owner who put it in a shop immediately!

An rv for sale with the same claim ... RUNNNN
No one sells the house they live in cuz it is in perfect working order.
What and or why are you using this as a d.d.?
i got more but...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Nah, I have too much in it already. I do most work myself.

The $850 labor (plus parts) for ****** brakes was because i was too dumb to check the master cylinder before I bought it. I didn't have tools or a place to work without risk of being bothered. I guess I should have tried anyway, but i didn't. It was too damn cold, for one thing.

I already see how I can repair things. The worst area is by the shower. I can pull the shower wall panels off and get into the wall to replace/add bracing.

Unless it literally starts falling apart, Im gonna keep at it. I'm not scared of doing work that is too expensive RV interior wise to pay a shop.

I might just gut the bathroom next year so i can get in the walls and work on them. For a couple hundred dollars, it could be redone fairly nicely myself.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the other hand you could do a bus conversion! i took a 04 internatinal with a t444e

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
on the other hand you could do a bus conversion! i took a 04 internatinal with a t444e

A meh looking RV still looks better than a school bus, at least to me. The only advantage is the metal structure.

I am going to carry full coverage because its only about $50 total. That way it's not a complete loss if something happens to it. Liability would be around $25-30. I had to pay $100 to start it up. I think I might call and have the insurance put on hold for a month or two while I'm working on it. Its parked at a relative's house so it can sit there.

It's not all bad, it's running good, aside from the bad vacuum pump screwing with brakes and the transmission. It has good RV appliances and probably a good generator once I fix the wiring issues.

The next big expense is going to be tires. It needs them desperately, dry rot. Walmart has some $80 ones right now, hopefully they will in a couple months. I have ultra cheap tires on my F250 and they have been good so far, about 1.5 years.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nah, I have too much in it already. I do most work myself.
Famous last words.
Always irks me hearing anybody say that about anything.
When it's all said and done, you will spend more than you could have had into something with way less issues. Then people say "built not bought." Uhm, only because it's a piece of crap that needed literally everything replaced. And you still won't be happy with the constant piece work.
Rant over.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Famous last words.
Always irks me hearing anybody say that about anything.
When it's all said and done, you will spend more than you could have had into something with way less issues. Then people say "built not bought." Uhm, only because it's a piece of crap that needed literally everything replaced. And you still won't be happy with the constant piece work.
Rant over.....

I agree, to an extent. A more expensive rig would have other issues. I should have stuck to the idea of a big slide in, in my NA 6.9 F250. But.... i like a motorhome setup. I like not going outside to go inside.

My F250 got to me cost wise too. Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for "i can fix that". But to be fair, the transmission shop shafted me by going hundreds over the estimate and leaving me stuck in a motel for a week.

But really, I did drop the ball with this. I forgot to check so much due to being tired and it getting dark. But there is really no recourse now after that brake work. Im gonna throw the cheapest new LT rated tires on it, fix any leaks as best I can and go from there. Im gonna put the bare minimum into this and hope it lasts me many years.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pictures of the rot, it is all fixable. Old Mister Bill was the master rv repair guy on here, but even with him gone there are several of us who have worked on some. Unfortunately I don't think that make had anything but a wooden frame, so you need to be careful taking it apart so you can get measurements to figure out how it should go back.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
To clarify old mister bill is alive and well.
You may be thinking of Oldbull8 or possibly towcat. But I believe oldbull8 was the one that worked at a camper place for a long time.