Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your metering valve is sticking on your injection pump. That's what is causing the stall after you decelerate. ATF trick may give you some more time, but it's borrowed time. Plan on a new IP and injectors in the not to distance future.

ATF in the master cylinder... Now I've seen it all....:idiot::idiot::idiot:LOL

Heath.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Your metering valve is sticking on your injection pump. That's what is causing the stall after you decelerate. ATF trick may give you some more time, but it's borrowed time. Plan on a new IP and injectors in the not to distance future.

ATF in the master cylinder... Now I've seen it all....:idiot::idiot::idiot:LOL

Heath.

It doesn't always do it. It only did at full operating temperature that day after 7-8 miles on the freeway and only after I got to where I parked. I've driven it a few times since at 25mph max just 1/2 mile max at time (so still pretty cold) and there were no stalls. It has no problem starting at 25-27 degrees after sitting overnight even with less than great mismatched batteries. Maybe ATF and/or clear diesel might help. Maybe its just dirty?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more common with IP's that have been sitting idle/unused. Have had it happen to me and my IP's didn't last long afterward.

Heath

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The vacuum pump tested good they said.

The master cylinder was leaking and could have leaked transmission fluid into it, but its holding vacuum so I'll keep an eye on that.

They said the front brake pads are very thin, but I'll do those myself later too.

Still waiting for them to finish, hopefully today. I'm back in the shop waiting room for now.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Got it back. It needs a vacuum pump too, unless it has a vacuum leak somewhere.

Do 85 vans have a coffee can for cruise?

I messily sprayed the throttle cable linkage and the transmission linkage with WD40 and its much better now. Not all stiff feeling.

A previous owner must have had short legs, it had a small wedge of wood screwed to the toe end throttle pedal. I removed it, it felt weird.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah its probably the vacuum pump. I disconnected the cruise (i hope) and the vent control hoses, leaving the throttle (?) and C6 lines, and of course the brake booster. I capped off the barbs for cruise and vent with vinyl caps from advance. That way more vac can go to brakes. Pressing it once uses nearly all vacuum. But its 95% highway/freeway driving so i should be about to get there safer now.

Maybe that's why the transmission is being weird.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got the vent blowing and the radio working. The 35A fuse for ac htr was gone. Radio is marked as another fuse but its apparantly tied to hvac. Odd! It sure didn't work the other day. I pulled a 30A fuse from the RV fuse panel and used it, but at least its not higher than the rating it calls for.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ok, an update about the odd air filter thing on ATS 085 van kits.

Upon closer inspection, it has a silver metal piece around the edge of the filter, that's what clamps down the filter to the base. That's what has the clamp things attached, not the base. I forgot to take a picture of it while i had the doghouse open today, sorry.

But yes, near as i can figure, ATS 085 van kits did NOT come with a full domed cover over the air filter, just a piece that holds it down around the edges. No cold air intake for these!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Another info update:

It has a Dana 70 HD 4.10 rear end.... and a C4?! Code G! Whyyyy?? Why didn't they put a C6? :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

The motorhome door jamb tag:

You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans code "g" = c-4:***:

I had an e350 cutaway camper once ,it had an 289/ c-4/60 setup...
Stranger things have happened.
Brb
no eng. Code shown, try a vin lookup and see if its an eng. Swap???
may have been a gasser once?
I cannot read the fed emissions tag at bottom of pic...

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
The answer seems to vary according to website and who answers. How about actual measurements?

Ford Automatic Transmissions
Type
1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear Overall Length Bellhousing-to-
Transmission Length
C4
2.46 1.46 1.00 -- 30-1/2" 20-1/4"
C6 2.46 1.46 1.00 -- 30-1/2" 22 1/2"
AOD 2.40 1.46 1.00 0.67 30-3/4" 22-1/4"
E40D 2.71 1.53 1.00 0.70 37-1/2" 29-3/8"

The first 4 entries are gear ratios. You can see that the C4 and the C6 are 3 speed. The 5th measurement is overall length, and the 6th number is bellhousing to transmission length.

The bellhousing to transmission length seems long, particularly on the E4OD, but I'll pass this along regardless. Maybe it will help.

Edit: For whatever help it may be, I have a 28 page (28 on my computer. Your's might vary depending on mileage) pdf document about the C6, care, maintenance, teardown, and such. I'd be happy to send it to anyone who asks. It would have to travel by email, so send a PM with an email address.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that should go into the tech section, iirc you post it to the inbox, a mod will verify it and include it into the tech section...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Its getting around 8-9mpg right now. Who knows how filthy the K&N filter is though, it could be starving for air.

The 4.10 isn't helping any but oh well. Nor does it being a massive brick.

I read that turbos on IDIs are mostly only noticeable when towing. Any truth to that? Seems like there might be, unless I'm having problems somewhere.

I had to keep reminding myself that it's still just an IDI in a motorhome despite the turbo, and that it's still got limitations on hills. If it was that kit in ny truck, then it would be another story.

Back driving my 6.9 NA C6 3.55, it feels FAST!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online