Burning OIL!!!

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that my truck is burning oil but i dont know where to begin looking to see were i could be coming from any advice would be vary helpful.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sooooooo..... Do you smell it burning or is it leaving the crankcase misteroiusly somewhere??? The posting needs more words for any better advise.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Have you looked in the coolant to see if its somehow made its way in there?

Thad

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As said above, have You looked in the intake (pull air filter and have a look) and found any oil? It could be the cdr (crankcase depressor regulator) that on n/a engines is behind the intake and turbo ed engines somewhere on the pipe line.

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent really driven it long enough to tell but as the motor warms it smokes more there seems to be oil coming out of the tailpipe to not much but enough to coat the sides. when idling it will puff a little but as soon as i get on it it smokes BAD cars will stop in the road to let the smoke clear. The engiine runs rough to could it be vavles bent or maybe a push rod.I hope that it aint rings that will be a chore to do. When i replaced injectors i pulled one and it looked like it had some oil on the bottom of it so should i pull vavle covers and look at rods and valves?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You have two problems then, one it smokes a lot, this could be a leaking injector/s bad timing (how many miles on the fuel system?) and burns oil, could be rings, valve seals, etc. The most simple is to look inside the intake and see if there is any oil coating the walls then You know the cdr isn't working.

Does this truck have a turbo? any more info like year, engine, etc?

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its all in my signature but when i pulled the intake to the turbo for the filter it looked like there was some oil in it but not much. Its smoking way to much for wat was there. i dont know about the fuel system. but should i look at the valves and is there any way to check the rings without tearing the engine apart.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
lets not comlicate things here start with the easyest thing possible
1 how old or new is the turbo on the truck \

is the exhaust wet

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tailpipe is wet it feels also like it is missing on a cylinder or two sometimes. Could oil be getting into the engine through the turbo? My pyrometer doesnt get over 3 - 400 degrees when im driving so im going to turn the injector pump up some and see if that will help some.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i wouldnt turn up the pump yet until you fix your problem thats what my truck runs running around town with a lite foot and thats with the pump maxed out
and yes oil can get into the exhaust through the trubo
pull your down pipe off the turbine side (exhaust) and see what you find

91ford7.3td1in

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i pulled the air filter for the turbo some oil but not much. But then i pulled the part that ties the turbo to the intake and lots of oil the bottom and sides of the intake are black. There was oil sitting in the rubber connector from the intake to the turbo. it also looked like there was a spot that oil had dripped down side of the turbo. This truck still has the n\a intake that has the hole in the back of the intake it also had some oil in it. i dont think it has a hose connecting it to anything so maybe the turbo is leaking a little and it is sucking it in there. They have this turbo set up to relieve the pressure on the crankcase by running a hose from the font of the oil fill to the turbo (Banks sidewinder wastegated) instead of going to the valve covers. There was also oil on the part were the exhaust connects to the turbine. Under the turbo itself looks wer but i dont know if its diesel or oil i had a bad diesel leak ther not long ago. Could these be my problems? And how do i fix these problems.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the hole in the back of the intake manifold closed up with something? It needs to be closed off or all the turbo boost will be lost and you are just running a na motor. Oil in the intake is normal but lots of it is not. Its hard to say what is acceptable. The crd valve that was in the rear of the intake now dumps into the front of the motor at the injection pump gear housing. Thats how Banks does it. It works fine so don't remove it. I hope this helps some...