Bullnose / Bricknose Body Work Compatibility

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys. Which body panels will fit from a Bricknose backwards to a bullnose? I've got an 84 f350, but there's an 89 half ton locally that has a straight body. My front quarter panels and doors are pretty abused. Any chance the 89 panels would fit? (the 89 is a gasser, if that matters at all).

Thanks!

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wheel arch is different for sure, I believe front fenders are different due to different headlight design.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Basic rule of thumb, any sheet metal in front of the windshield is different. Doors and beds can be swapped between the generations.

But as mentioned, the wheel arch between the bull, and brick/OBS is different. Brick and OBS the wheel arch is the same.

Inside door panels are different, wing windows are different.

But, hood, cowl, front fenders, core support, headlights, grille and fascia and bumper are a "set" in each generation. So you have to keep everything generation specific, even when doing a change. If you want to do what Calvin often did, convert to an OBS nose, you have to swap over everything in front of the windshield. This is what he did on Saluco, its a Brick with OBS nose.....

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the wheel arch between the bull, and brick/OBS is different. Brick and OBS the wheel arch is the same.

If OP is working on the 350 in his sig., wheel arches won't matter much, in my openion.

you have to keep everything generation specific

Also "99%" sure that core support is different between gasser and diesel in all generations.

Reactions: dgr

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If OP is working on the 350 in his sig., wheel arches won't matter much, in my openion.

Also "99%" sure that core support is different between gasser and diesel in all generations.

Yes the Tall/Skinny (Factory A/C) Diesel core support is difference than the gasser Short/Wide (Factory Non A/C) Diesel support, but the botom hoop can by grafted over if you have the skill...

The wheel arch comment isn't one of clearance, they are shaped physically different, and in my opinion stick out like a sore thumb on a bullnose. The bullnose is my favorite bodystyle and the "wrong" bed is the first thing I notice, just like the "wrong" tailgate......

Here is a Bullnose: (Even in my favorite paint scheme)

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a Brick: (OBS Has same fender lines)

Here is a Bull with a Brick bed (See how the difference sticks out)

As an aside, this is my favorite paint scheme and exact color combo (which was a $1500 option in 1983)

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super helpful! Thank you!

Those photos comparisons were PERFECT. and yes, I'm biased, but bullnose proportions are juuuust right. :)

And yes, Fred is indeed a flatbed.

One more since I got ya - in the bullnose generation, from a sheet metal standpoint, what is the same between half ton and one ton, diesel and gas? Is it all compatible? Save for maybe a radiator? (For what it's worth, I have the short and wide radiator from the early 6.9's).

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is the same between half ton and one ton, diesel and gas? Is it all compatible? Save for maybe a radiator? (For what it's worth, I have the short and wide radiator from the early 6.9's).

It's my understanding that the sheet metal components are interchangeable between gassers and diesels, provided that you have the correct core support... like Snicklas said, the interior plastics (and maybe their mounting points?) are different between each generation and not exactly interchangeable.
...Front bumpers look to have generation specific mounts, but the frame horns are the same..

Edit:
I just realized that I didn't really answer your question.
Sheet metal within F series (F150 to Super Duty) generations is the same.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
provided that you have the correct core support...
If I read what Snicklas said right, the short/wide core support and the gas ones are the same. That seems right. There may be different mounting brackets for the diesel radiator Vs. the gas ones (not sure about that).

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe someone did a measurement and the 460 gas, and short/wide radiator were the same size. The might not be the same specs (fin count, number of rows), but I think they are the same dimensions.

I think riotwarrior did a photo comparison of the radiators/core support. Same as he did for the pedal boxes and vacuum vs hydroboost brake pedal.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I read what Snicklas said right, the short/wide core support and the gas ones are the same

I think that the core support from a gasser is/was different than diesel in all generations.
That's why I said "It's my understanding".
If I had a dollar to bet, I'd bet that the part numbers are different (short and fat / tall and skinny, gas and diesel).
Since I don't (have a dollar to bet), and my manuals and parts books are at the shop, I won't claim certainty.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, I believe someone did a measurement and the 460 gas, and short/wide radiator were the same size. The might not be the same specs (fin count, number of rows), but I think they are the same dimensions.
I don't know about the radiators themselves, but I'd bet that the core supports themselves would be the same. There's the one for gas radiators, the one for the tall, narrow diesel radiators, but it doesn't make sense (to me) for Ford to make a third style of support just for the limited number of diesels with the short, wide radiators.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's time for a P/N look up!
It won't happen tonight ... but I 'll have time in the morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online