Brownies on Ebay

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet he'd let one go for $350 or maybe even 300 in cash in person. In fact if I had that kind of money I'd probably be calling him trying to get that deal. I'll let Robert answer the questions about his setup, he's usually more than happy to do so and we've talked at length about it. Personally I think there's about as many right ways as wrong ways to rig up a shifter, gotta be right for you that's the main thing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering Chelsea PTO cables and twin lever setup or a Hurst 3speed floor shifter or a combo of the two. Sound HD enough?

I have a 4-position floor-shifter that I intend to use on my auxilliary when I get it installed.

It was originally intended to replace the old 3-speed column-shifters.

The one I have is plenty heavy-duty to shift the auxilliary, has a rather long/tall lever with plenty of leverage, and lots of various adjustments.

Sitting in the floor, I can push and pull the shifters on the 6041 with my fingers.

I intend to use rigid shifter-rods with stirrup-connectors and turn-buckle adjustments.

I might get fooled when everything is mounted under the truck, but I believe the shifter-rods will be an almost straight shot.

I may go crazy and divorce-mount a NP-205 behind the auxilliary, ditch the twin-I-beam, and install a king-pin Dana-60 front axle, after I get the bugs worked out of the auxilliary install. ;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much fuel economy you can miser out of that Ford Cummins setup with a brownie+getrag 360? RL seems to have seen a big improvement behind the ZF5. Seems with the Cummins they have a lower powerband and that auxillary might be even more handy.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that low rpms are a key we all are missing out on. Mel went for the 3:08 gears and sounds pleased. The straight 6 torque and lower rpm's only seems fitting. 30mpg's anybody?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much fuel economy you can miser out of that Ford Cummins setup with a brownie+getrag 360? RL seems to have seen a big improvement behind the ZF5. Seems with the Cummins they have a lower powerband and that auxillary might be even more handy.

I want it for the bad steep hills on these little one-lane country roads around here; it is not at all unusual to have a truck/trailer smother and quit on some of these hills, regardless of how powerful it may be.

When you quit on a hill, the next thing is you slide un-controllably backwards. :eek:

My unit is a four-speed with double-under, under, direct, and over; probably a real drive-shaft twister. :backoff

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Wow! I'd have sold mine years ago, had I known they were worth so much.

I picked it up, to put behind the 5-speed in my 66 C-60. That project seems to have gone WAAAAAAAY down the list.

DragRag

Reaction score
I just bought a 85' parts truck mitchell overdrive unit in place where the carrier bearing goes. It is going in my 86' crew cab that is getting a ZF5. So I will have over drive on the trans, and a second over drive on the drive shaft. The truck has 3.55 gears also. Not sure what the effective gear ratio will be, but I will post my RPM's when I have it done.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multiply your gearing in the rear end by gearing in the main box by gearing in the auxillary. My guess is it will give you the same effect as a numerically very low gear. I figured the effective final ration with my T18 and one of these 5831B boxes to be around 3.02 in over and with a 5831A with the 27% overdrive it was 2.xx. I really have to have one of these when I can afford it...hopefully this summer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No bids on the brownie auction again. I wonder if this would persuade the seller to go cheaper? Say $300-$350? Hey Robert, what kind of weight do you tow with this setup and would you reccomend a 6000 or 7000 series instead. I read the 1st number is the torque rating 5=500ftlbs and so on. Some argue that the torque multiplication if the primary trans raises the need for heavier unit. I think its just the touque rating of your motor and they already adjusted for primary trans torque increase. 5000 series seems like overkill for a one ton to me. I'm considering Chelsea PTO cables and twin lever setup or a Hurst 3speed floor shifter or a combo of the two. Sound HD enough?

I seriously doubt that the first number has anything to do with the torque rating . Since I have a full set of spicer service manuals right here in front of me, the pattern of their numbering system starts to become obvious. It just goes from early to late model series with certain ones being iron or aluminum case by number designation. Even the individual manuals will not give a definite torque rating for any of them, they all say if you want a specific torque rating to contact their engineers with data pertaining to your installation and type of operation before they will give a limit, in other words, they will assign a higher limit to a unit used for highway then one used for logging or a offroad crane rig

I regularly gross 18,000 with my 5831 , that is plenty if box if you could see the size of the gears inside you would freak. It's about 4 times stronger than the main box at a bare minimum. This thing was built for a semi truck, you have to remember what a semi truck was back then. It's not until more recently that you get into the twin countershaft boxes and now mack even has these monster triple countershaft boxes , I guess if you're in Australia pulling a road train you might need something that serious, but a 6 or 7000 series would not be needed unless you just happened to get a good deal on it, because they are longer and heavier

Your shifter ideas ought to work fine. I had tossed both ideas around myself.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the 5000 series just cause that's already a lot of box to hang on the carrier bearing mounts even with some additional support, and it's already big and heavy and bulky enough. Then so is the main box for that matter.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
hmmmm. now i think one of these would go great between my dt360/zf 5 and 4.10 gears. now only to maby divorce the t case too?