Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well like I said the rest of the valves looked good. But I'm not taking a chance with the positive seals on the exhaust valves so I'm going to pull the exhaust springs on the other head and replace the positive seals with the hard plastic umbrella seals.
I was not going to push for more than him getting it done right and fast, he said he'd have it done on monday if he couldn't get the valve tomorrow morning. I'm happy with that.
Now I just hope I can get the valley pan to seal again. Should I use my rolloc wheel on the deck of the block? Sure makes cleaning allot easier but it also makes it hard to keep all that dust out of everything. Maybe I should just clean the head gasket off as best I can with a putty knife and call it good.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT use the roloc. scrape with a razor blade or very smooth sharp putty knife/gasket scraper. I then clean with thinner and some scotchbrite
A roloc can easily make a minute groove and cause a gasket failure

And yes I know it is common practice but I dont do it , I have seen some local shops cry the blues on comebacks and every one has been damaged by the roloc.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you used a Felpro top engine gasket kit it comes with multiple warnings and proper install of which seals where. The posi-seals (red) go on the intake valves only. The white plastic umbrella with the improved deep skirts go on the exhaust. You would figure this out after doing the first head because they only give you 8 of each.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hmm, for whatever reason I got 16 of the positive seals. Thats where the confusion came from I guess. I brought all of them to the machinist and he said his book called for the positive seals on the exhaust and he said no reason not to put them on the intake as well.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, for whatever reason I got 16 of the positive seals. Thats where the confusion came from I guess. I brought all of them to the machinist and he said his book called for the positive seals on the exhaust and he said no reason not to put them on the intake as well.

That's strange mine came with 16 plastic umbrella's but only 8 posi's.:dunno
6.9 's came with mini umbrellas. People cried about oil consumption so they came out using the posi's on the intake and long skirt umbrellas on the exhaust. One local shop saids the guides on the intake side don't last as long because of the minimal lubrication. If it makes you feel better I have now thousands of miles since I did my heads with posi's on the intake and long skirt umbrellas exhaust with no probs.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
posi on intake, tall shedder umbrella on exhaust.

I put posi's on all mine but i have bronze guides. They hold oil better.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Roloc will ruin the surface just as Russ posts... But it sure cleans up fast. Spray down the surface with Aerokroil.. Let it soak for about an hour and scrape with a razor. Bottom tap out the stud holes in the block and wash down everything with brake cleaner because it wont leave a film. Some use sprayon Hylomar on the head gaskets with great results. I don't use anything and no leaks but that doesn't mean I wont have some in the future. I don't feel I will have any leaks... Felpro is a great gasket. I try not to even wipe off the heads or the block mating surfaces for fear of getting some cloth fibers stuck to them somewhere and not see it. I found on my machined rebuild there were areas that rag fluff was caught... I couldn't get rid of it... So I used a map gas torch and air blew off the ashes. Sure they were very tiny but not right for me... I needed and wanted a clean... Fingerprint proof surface. Any oil film will create a leak for the oil to migrate thru... It needs to be clean. Nuff said... Positive on the intakes and single umbrellas on the exhaust... Don't use two seals on the exhaust. Its way better to get it right the first time but... Getting it right the second time is twice as important... Trying to get it right the thrid time... Its time to do something else... We all make mistakes once... Twice shame on you... three times... Theres no cure for stupid... Sorry but thats just kinda funny... I'm refering to the "machinst" about being stupid... We will have this finished and running for Christmas Sean... You"ll see....:sly;Sweet

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well picked up the head from the machine shop last night. As Gary said he would he reamed the guides out to their largest spec "just to be sure". He installed a new guide and a new valve in the bad hole, installed the other seals on the exhaust valves and cleaned it up for me.
Got that head back on the motor today as well as changing out the other heads exhaust valve seals. That pretty much blew the whole day right there. I can't believe how much time it takes to change those valve seals on the motor. Not to mention how much of a literal pain in the ass, and back, that it is. But its done, now its just putting all the normal stuff back on. Draining the oil just in case I got some antifreeze in it, and firing it up. Probably wont get it running until Christmas day though. Nothing better to do on Christmas so might as well get this thing back up and running.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Couldn't even get around to working on it the last couple days. I'm gonna hope the weather is bearable tomorrow and I'll dig the truck out of the snow drift so I can finish putting it back together. I hate winter.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't even get around to working on it the last couple days. I'm gonna hope the weather is bearable tomorrow and I'll dig the truck out of the snow drift so I can finish putting it back together. I hate winter.

My joints hurt just thinking about it. :eek: I used to live in the rust belt, worked on cars in the lake effect snow and ice. I moved to the southwest where cars don't rust and the winters are milder. My hats off to you. I don't think I could do it anymore.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I get seasonal depression because of how much of what I consider my fun activities require warm weather and take place during the summer. Working on my cars and trucks are part of my relaxation or escape from the boring life I live. When snow hits and cold weather I'm screwed because I don't have a shop to work in. My mom takes over the garage with all her crap in the winter and just getting around in there is a chore. With the state of the economy and practically all the businesses in town closing down, the fact that I don't have a vehicle of my own that is capable of driving in the 27 inches of snow we've got in the last two storms, and being cooped up in my little house with nothing to do because of the first two mentioned problems I'm having a rough time this winter. I just want my truck back and for it to run right this time. That would be just awesome at this point.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sean... The longer it takes... The better you feel when its back running again. Things do change.. We only get handed things that we can handle... Life is a test of the worthy.... Some are "tested more than others... Mostly you will see "others" can't handle what you can.... Never feel like your alone... Or we are coming for you and you don't want that kind of meeting... Just kidding you.. We will all party when your back up and running... Then you will find something else to do... Kinda like me sitting here for hours at a time helping others get back behind the wheel.....:sly